Notices

Diet Coke - Substituting Addictions... Seriously?!?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Jennie!

I think we all do subs. For me who never did sweets I got hooked on mints the red and white starlite ones. I was doing a bag a day and realized I was hooked on them. When I started to get low I would start to get anxious like when I was running out of alcohol or smokes. I was a mintaholic!

Hi I am Itchy and I am a mintaholic. I haven't sucked in four months. I am surrounded by suckers, all of my family sucks in front of me and so do most of my friends. They even have mints, my brand, at the docs office. I must admit that even if I don't buy them any more I do steal three or four at the docs office and suck in hiding in my car.

I stopped but I had to at a pound a day which caused a weight gain. So against all advice here I went back to drinking scads of coffee. I did that all my life until I substituted alcohol for it.

I quit smoking three packs a day when I quit drinking alcohol 9 months ago, I kid you not! I gained 30 pounds from my new adult binkies. (That is what I call my addictive subs just like a child's binkie, and just as ridiculously compulsive.)

I can lose the weight later but I can't lose lung cancer or be a Lazarus when alcohol eventually had me looking at the wrong side of the grass.

So don't feel alone but glad you posted as I don't feel so alone now. BRB gotta go get another cuppa.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

LMAO Itchy... adult binkies!

Thanks for the laugh... but yes, it's really like we're kids crying and throwing tantrums for our binkies.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I seriously think I may becoming psychologically addicted to diet drinks.

This morning I nearly panicked when I thought I was out... then I saw the half empty bottle and my heart slowed down its beating... it was just like with WINE! What is going on here?? Am I substituting addictions, and if so... is it impeding my recovery?

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions please...
Heck, I think my diet pepsi addiction might be worse than my alcohol addiction...and this has been going on for a LONG time....long before I tried to stop drinking.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
Well put squizz. I've been sober for quite some time now but I'll be damned if the soda/coffee are on the way out...I drank a ton of coffee Saturday early a.m. and headed out to run errands, and drank a 20oz Pepsi Max on the road. Was laughin at myslef how friggen wired I was in the stores and mall....I think I was striking convo with a mannequins. Compared to slurring my speech and spilling my beer on peoples shoes at a x-mas party or being miserably hungover at work I'll take it.
HAHAHA. So true. Some days I'm wound-up tighter than an alarm clock with all the coffee I drink, and that's not good. Some days I eat so much fast food, I think I might have to start attending Weight Watchers.

That being said, none of that compares to how bad I feel from narcotics and alcohol. Furthermore, I certainly don't get in NEARLY as much trouble as I did from drugs or alcohol from those things.

Mainly, it's a legality issue. I'm not going to go to jail because I ate too many Whoppers on "Whopper Wednesday". (At least I hope not!)

HAHA.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
I'd much rather be addicted to diet soda than alcohol. At least you're not going to get a DUI for drinking too much soda. We fret sometimes, it's part of the recovery process. I'm sure someone, somewhere would have a problem with it. But those are the people who's advice I tend to take with a grain of salt.

If diet soda is your biggest problem, I'd say you're doing just fine. Keep up the good work!

I agree with this.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Everyone have some type of addiction. I think it's better off being addictive to diet coke then alcohol. Try to make steps to change the diet coke to water. Water is healthier for you.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Everyone have some type of addiction. I think it's better off being addictive to diet coke then alcohol. Try to make steps to change the diet coke to water. Water is healthier for you.
At the same time I think people need some joy in life.

If you love Diet Coke then drink Diet Coke.

I know the more deprived I feel the more likely I am to just pack in all healthy thinking and reach for a drink and a burger and god knows what else.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Is the glass half empty or half full? Neither its always full when your an addict!

Everyone has something they prefer...alcoholic or not. I know a guy that only drinks MtDew. He said its his only vice. He's not a drinker.
My Mom loves regular tea. She is lovingly refered to as a tea-aholic.
My flavor of the week is the SoBe Lifewaters. They are awesome and I hear they are healthy for you!
Soda and especially Diet Sodas really aren't good for you as a regular drink. Regardless if you were an alcoholic or not. I work at a store and just can't believe the amount of soda people consume. Unbelievable.
And they don't think -they buy the smaller bottles at the checkout for $1.48 rather than buy a case of cans for $3.50 or 2 liter bottles. It is an expensive compulsive habit! LOL

I've heard that Caffeine actually isn't ALL that bad. It does help work preformance in most people and does give you an edge that is one knotch above. I'm not saying consume 25 cups of coffee a day -but the caffeine from alittle coffee or a soda is not gonna kill ya -not like my whiskey was.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Staying out of trouble is a huge plus I used to joke how I don't drink soft drinks, just coffee and beer. Now I'm OK with sucking down a 6 pack of mtn dew a day instead of a 30 pack of beer... really.. ok ... with ... that!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Its funny how crazy we are when getting sober...comparing a diet drink to alcohol or drugs? I went through a similar thing convinced that i should give up smoking when i got into recovery, of course everyone told me to concentrate on the glaring problem i had with alcohol and it was only when my mid-fifties politely spoken doctor, looking over his glasses at me, said "you've got to be f***ing joking" to me when i assured him that i would be stopping smoking the next day that i thought hmmm maybe i don't need to worry about fags, diet drinks, the gym etc for a while...
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm most def a caffeine addict, but...its more of a security blanket having that diet drink in hand. The coolness, the ice......the whole shabang....its a mental thing for me. A glass/bottle/can in hand sure feels normal to me?????????? As long as I'm pouring diet drink down my throat instead of booze.....its a pretty good day.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny for the first couple weeks I drank full sugar and caffienated coke and ate Hungry Jacks just about everyday. My diet is more balanced now and I feel for the first few months anyway that do whatever it takes not to drink.

If that means drinking soda I say go for it. I drink soda everyday (diet and no caffiene now) I know its unhealthy but its better than drinking beer or any type of alcohol.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Its funny how crazy we are when getting sober...comparing a diet drink to alcohol or drugs? I went through a similar thing convinced that i should give up smoking when i got into recovery, of course everyone told me to concentrate on the glaring problem i had with alcohol and it was only when my mid-fifties politely spoken doctor, looking over his glasses at me, said "you've got to be f***ing joking" to me when i assured him that i would be stopping smoking the next day that i thought hmmm maybe i don't need to worry about fags, diet drinks, the gym etc for a while...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I seriously think I may becoming psychologically addicted to diet drinks.

This morning I nearly panicked when I thought I was out... then I saw the half empty bottle and my heart slowed down its beating... it was just like with WINE! What is going on here?? Am I substituting addictions, and if so... is it impeding my recovery?

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions please...
Everything is a behavior habit. We become addicted because we find salvation and security, whatever it might be. This can be a 'need' to wake up on the same side of the bed, working through the same routine so that we become acclimated to our surroundings.

W/ drinking, I think you can definitely subsitute something else, but make sure you substitute it w/ something healthy!

For me, I dislike soda. I can literally say, I drink less than 6 cans a year, or even less. I simply select 'beer' over it. BOTH BAD, but I think 'beer' is more 'natural'?

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is, find something to substitute. Instead of buying soda, buy 'real' juice, or buy bottles of water, or tea. It isn't easy, but give that a try.

- -

In regards to the coffee thing, I find it a habitual thing as well. I can go on a day or 2 w/o it, but sometimes I buy it, just to buy it, so it allows me to step away from the desk. I don't see coffee as a caffene shot, but limit myself to just 1 cup.

I've had days before where I drank so much, I'd literally sweat, and feel jitters. NOT FUN.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Jennie, diet Coke or any drinks that contain aspartame are especially addicting because aspartame contains phenylalanine, which has the same effects on the brain as chocolate. That's the good part. The bad part is aspartame spikes insulin levels, which makes you hungry shortly after consuming it. Splenda is a bit better, but still crap. I drink a soda made out of Stevia leaf extract, and it's calorie free. Forget the name, sorry! However, I have a slight addiction to regular OR sugar-free Red Bulls now, but hey, it's better than booze in my mind. I don't think addicts trying to get better should be so hard on themselves when it comes to soda or sweets or even ciggs. One day at a time!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've read different sides of the insulin spike theory on diet drinks... yes, I was afraid of that. Not sure if it's really happening. But I can imagine it is The brain interprets the sweet taste to be actual sugar and spikes the insulin even though it isn't, something like that?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yep Sober Jen I have eaten more chocolate in all forms. ice cream, bars, lattes and I want a diet cola right now, but it is 2 late. I really really want one! I have gained about 10lbs in 74 days. I am telling myself that I am doing the work on my sobriety and that I will incorporate more exercise and healthy eatting habits into my whole life recovery program as I have the strength to do so.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Lushly... I hear ya. I've gained like 3-4 lbs since 15 days ago! I never imagined I'd GAIN weight when I quit drinking... LOL. Damn. Well... I'm about to put on my running shoes and go outside with the cats for a walk. I had 2 big diet cokes today... the past few days I've had like 5-8 per day!! Madness.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's kind of funny but I was an insane diet coke fiend for years. i would drink the equivalent of Diet coke when I was sober that I would drink in beer the night before. I don't know what happened but I sort of just one day got so sick of drinking so much of it. It was weird, like I almost lost my taste for it. Now I drink a half dozen diet mountain dews which is much much healthier.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I had a diet sprite last night and I think I'll at least switch to that while I transition off them... I want to eventually just drink club soda or tonic water. Mineral water probably would be best.