Notices

"Void" = Lack of intimacy?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Void" = Lack of intimacy?

Today I discussed that "void" or empty feeling we wish to fill or feel is empty in us causing some of us to use. I had a pretty lengthy discussion about this with my sponsor today and was surprised by the outcome. This is yet another simple solution to an issue that so far in my life has had me "chasing my tail."

I talked and talked through some personal beliefs and behaviors that have kept me from letting people get to know me and get close to me. Duhhh one would think this would be a no brainer to figure out but seriously I hadnt put AB & C together until I sat down (at the request of my sponsor) with my husband and told him how I'm feeling and my fears. It's a long story but when you do this you feel connected to the other person. Now do you see why I say DUHHHH.... Lol. I've been so busy protecting myself from others that I have no idea what it's like to feel that connection.

I didn't want to be rejected so I adopted this behavior and belief system thus creTing the very environment of isolation that that me feeling the "void.". Ugh!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I did the same thing. I couldn't understand why I didn't feel close to friends I had and I blamed them. Only in recovery did I understand that it was me who was closed off. Feeling connected is a really good feeling.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry for typos - I'm on my IPhone.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

+1