Notices

Celebrity Rehab

Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity Rehab

Is anyone else watching this season of Celebrity Rehab with Dr Drew? (sorry if this is a US only reference)?

I swore I wasn't going to watch this season since I think Mike Starr's death calls Dr Drew's methods into serious question. But I got sucked in nonetheless.

For some reason it's therapeutic to me to see a TV show showing well-known people who have the same problems that I do. And there is also an element of fantasy... I wish I had the luxury of spending a month in a plush Pasadena treatment facility instead of having to fight my battle while working and supporting a family.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? Therapeutic or voyeuristic trash?

Last edited by BeenDown2Times; 07-09-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I don't know, I watch it, but it think it could be both therapeutic and voyeuristic trash. I'm curious though, how does Mike Starr's overdose reflect back on Dr. Drew?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been watching it...as I have since it first started.

I do have to question the ongoing negativity surrounding Dr Drew's methods. Just because both Mike Starr and Jeff Conaway have died from drug related problems after following treatment on the series, it doesn't mean they aren't correct, or helpful in any way. It seems to me they encourage therapy plus the 12 steps after treatment - as well as during. Many people who attend AA or rehab do slip through the net and die because of a relapse. It's just what addicts DO (unfortunately).

I think it's been very helpful to many people (myself included) to see what happens in a rehab center, albeit a very plush one. Is it voyeuristic? Yes, absolutely. Therapeutic? Yes, I think so...for me, anyhow.

Great topic, thanks for the thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Re: Mike Starr,

I think that it hurts Dr Drew's credibility when we brought Mike Starr back last season as a role model and as a shining example of how Drew's care "works", and then the guy relapses and ODs shortly after.

I realize that you can't win em all but I know for a fact that active addicts watch the show (because I did when I was using), and when things like Mike's death happen it risks making them think that recovery is impossible, once-an-addict-always-an-addict, rehab-is-for-quitters, etc.

I'd personally suggest that he avoid singling anyone out as a success story in the future for that very reason. Too risky.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think Dr Drew is cool but I don't think he understands the 12 steps very well. I mean he let Andy Dick think that apologizing to his son was "making amends". An apology does not equal an amends.

I do watch the show however.

Has anyone heard how Rodney King is doing?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a comment thing in rehab that people will relapse and overdose. The only difference is this is on TV with celebrities and the other is not. It's part of the addiction mind and I bet some of the people just didn't get it and didn't want to work on there problems and try to recover and in turn died because of it.

dgillz explain why Dr Drew does not understand 12 steps?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

People leave treatment from different methods all over the the world and die all the time. The only difference is this is on tv then in the media when they do die.
You dont see or hear about joe junky from hood st that spent time at state funded rehab 101 that was found dead with a needle in his arm behind a dumpster on the news or in the media.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
dgillz explain why Dr Drew does not understand 12 steps?
Like I said an apology does not equal an amends. I think Bob Forrest gets the steps but not Dr Drew.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Like I said an apology does not equal an amends. I think Bob Forrest gets the steps but not Dr Drew.
I had somebody come make amends a little while ago. It was, at best, an apology wrapped in different clothes.

Wonderful.

Thank god my home group is filled with old-timers that don't view amends as simply apologizing or stating what you did wrong & what 'possibly' can you do to make it right (pressuring situation anybody?)- it should be more on both parts and far extending....well, at least so I've been taught.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Starr's death didn't make me want to stop watching. If anything, it reminded me how serious addiction is, and how you are never in the clear.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I remember when Mike Starr came back. Drew mentioned that there had been some tough times, meaning Mike had relapsed after the show and was at the time of his reappearance sober. He was sober at the time, so was Steven Adler, who has also relapsed. I don't view the people who come back as Drew's shining stars. They are addicts either succeeding in the recover or struggling and talking about their experience. Any addict who goes through rehab, then relapses, chooses to pick up. It is up to the individual of whether or not they are going to apply what they learned in rehab. Some rehabs are may be better than others. Obviously, the fact that Dr. Drew is a TV show and the cast are paid to appear on the show could be a huge distraction or factor in success. If I remember correctly, Mike S. had a huge issue with the the TV cameras during his detox. It may not have been the best environment for him, but he agreed to it. Also, the actual length of stay at Celebrity Rehab is relatively short. After care is definitely a factor in staying sober. Many of them turn down the sober house living option.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm watching this season for the 1st time. Can't help being skeptical, as with any 'reality show'. How much is staged? Celebrity created drama? Like the chick on the roof!?! I don't get the scheduled airing. Do they just keep broadcasting the same episodes all week? When do new ones air? Also, how long ago did they tape? Just curious, like watching a train wreck.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered

I watched Dr. Drew in an interview. He said that AA doesn't work for most people, but that it works if you work it.

*IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT*

I will tell you, I have been trying to get sober for over 20 years (first rehab at 18 and I'm now 40). Like people who diet, quitting drinking/drugging for me was not something I was able to do and KEEP doing. This time around after trying all the different "programs" and being sent back to AA by "the powers that be", I said "F*ck it. I'm going to do everything I'm told...and I'll show you people that this AA thing doesn't work."

Well, something happened: I got sober and stayed sober. I became happy, useful to my fellows, employable, free. I have some to realize that whatever program you choose, you HAVE TO WORK IT. 100%

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path" is true for probably any program....one just has to DO IT.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some great points here.

I just think that this show is unique/special in that it might be the only voice out there speaking to active addicts and alcoholics. I know for me it was one of the early warning signs when I saw some of myself in the characters on the show.

Given that, I think they should be a little more responsible in showing just what it takes to get sober-- if that means they take an orthodox AA stand or not that's fine with me as long as they're more honest in what those steps require (to many of your points).

Sure they're making the show to entertain but it wouldn't take away from the entertainment value if they turned up the educational dial a bit higher. Heck they educate us on fishing in Deadliest Catch what's the difference?

I also stand by the Mike Starr thing. At the very least that was a teachable moment that they missed.

Great discussion!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like the show a lot because, even though it's a 'reality show' you see first-hand how hard people struggle and the difficulties they face. I loved Mike Starr on the show. It was terribly sad to hear that he died, but I don't think that reflects on Dr. Drew.

I think the show gives hope to addicts, because it shows that if you try and fail, you need to try again because this disease kills.

I'm in Canada, so the Season 6 hasn't started here yet, but I look forward to seeing it.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

IMNSHO Dr.Drew is a bit too touchy feely for me, ok he's downright saccharin sweet as far as I'm concerned, but the fact of the matter is that this disease kills and it doesn't matter who you are or how good your help is this disease can and will kill.

Death is a part of the deal. There is no getting around that fact. One of my first instructions to any sponsee that gets his first year chip is to buy a dark suit if he doesn't already own one because he will need it.

It may look bad to the viewing public, but this is the reality of this disease.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think it shows that celebrities are just like us.
And thank goodness that I am not one with all that money. I am not too sure I would have made it to rehab.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The rehab I went into had the same policy upon entering into treatment; that of which giving a history of your addiction, family, health and consequences. As well as the group therapy and individial therapy; which starts the process of people trusting to share where they are at. We had AA meetings and written assignments in the treatment I went into though. The amends/apology was the same also...where you tell one family member something that you regret...it starts the process on amends and by all means is not an official amends...because I truly believe for me I will be doing living amends the rest of my life. I like the show and think Dr. Drew has good insight. If someone goes out from treatment and drinks or worse dies it is no one elses fault but the person that choose to go out...it is sad that people die from this disease and am thankful today for my life and another way to live. I think the show is good because it may reach someone that is in active addiction to possibly seek help..

Last edited by greeteachday; 07-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I've watched the show from the start. Its informative to see how I acted in depths of drug addiction. I never noticed how emotional, manipulating and defiant I was when I first entered rehab.

Then seeing the people going through detox and withdrawals. Once that's over I can see the memory of that fade way as resistance to treatment begins to rise.

Best of all, is seeing a therapeutic community build as the residents start caring a offering support for each other.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am fascinated by the Celebrity Rehab show. It's a part of my program. So are the shows "Intervention" and "Relapse" and the latest teaching show on Spike "Jail" where people are brought right after arrest, still blasted drunk or high. Drunks are terrible people. Then they dry out in the drunk tank and the shame sets in. Personally, I benefit from these reminders.

Sure, the celebrities on these shows have hit bottoms, and may think they can rekindle their career by being on television. Well, they may be 100% correct, since if they get sober and stay sober, they will have a new lease. I've gotten some great insights watching these shows.