Notices

My last 24 days of withdraws.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My last 24 days of withdraws.

As I said in my last post, I quit drinking and have been sober for 24 days now, after binge drinking for most of the last 4 years. Reading what other people went threw helped me out a lot and help me to feel not as scared and alone. These are the things I went threw in the last 24 days.

Days 1-3 the hardest thing was to just not drink. The urge was strong, but I fought threw it. Day 3 I felt anxious, irritable and moody. For me days 4-8 were fine, just fought the urge to drink. No symptoms. Day 9 I experience some shaking and heartburn. Then day 10 comes. The worst day I've had. I have a big panic attack followed by smaller ones that day and bad shakes, throwing up, trouble sleeping that night and continued Days 11-13. Also had racing thoughts, trouble breathing, hands felt numb, sweating palms and feet. It was horrible. I stayed in bed, I felt scared to be around anybody. I lost my appetite. Then outta no where Day 14 started to feel better, the panic attacks were gone and was learning to control the anxiety. Wanted to eat again. That night I began to sleep normal again.
Day 15 Very mild anxiety and shaking, some dizziness.
Day 16 Felt good all day, except for some morning dizziness.
Day 17 Heartburn and anxiety in the morning. that followed, but then felt good. Day 18-22 felt much better. Very light to almost no anxiety. Got back in the gym and was able to go on walks. Feeling great. Day 23 Felt good just starting to eat a lot. Day 24 Started to have some anxiety again. But when I started I knew I would have my up days and down days. Just take it one day at a time. I know it's for the best. Over time this will all get better.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on getting 24 under your belt, hopefully things will be getting easier for you. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats. You sound like me. I am going through some headaches/anxiety. My anxiety and desire to drink comes hard on weekends.

Hope you do well and please post the anxiety aspect. I suffer panic attacks if they are triggered by events.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

We have had a lot of the same things at the same time in early withdrawal. I think that we all go through very different symptoms of WD but drawn from the same lot. I had anxiety at about the same time as you and never had anxiety before. Thank goodness for here and knowing it was pretty much normal. And my doc.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the 24 days!
We have had a lot of the same things at the same time in early withdrawal. I think that we all go through very different symptoms of WD but drawn from the same lot. I had anxiety at about the same time as you and never had anxiety before. Thank goodness for here and knowing it was pretty much normal. And my doc.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 24 days, glad to hear you are through the physical part of withdrawal.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I posted a new Thread on Anxiety. The list is interesting. You should check it out. I had no idea how many things where affected by Anxiety. When it comes to panic attacks, Those are brought on by the not drinking and the anxiety. When I had mine I felt tingling in my neck and head, felt short of breath, and felt like I needed to jump up and shack around. That all happens in the span of 3 to 5 seconds. You have the feeling that your dying or gonna pass out. You have to relax, cause getting worked up causes another one. You have to take deep breaths and relax. My wife has this calming music on her phone, that has no words. I just sit and mellow out and relax to that. Everyone's different. You just have to stay calm. Best of luck.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on your time, those WD's are not good blah

I agrree lets never go through them again

Here's to the next day of being sober!!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oddly enough (on day ten here) I experienced panic attacks shortly before deciding to quit drinking - and the dreadfulness of them added to my motivation to quit. I had several over the space of four or five days and attributed them to alcohol toxicity. My consumption was not huge, so physical withdrawal seems to to have lasted quite as long perhaps as for some.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

Good on ya for the "stick with it" attitude and determination you have shown!

When I quit drinking, I slowly began to realize that not ALL the hangovers I used to attribute to drinking were actually hangovers at all. Some of them were just the bad days everybody has when you just don't feel good.

Getting the full use of your 5 senses back is amazing, which you will see occurring more and more the longer you are clean. Suddenly you feel EVERYTHING, good and bad, now that you are no longer anesthetizing yourself.

Good job!