Notices

Camping > I mean, SERIOUSLY, NOW.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Camping > I mean, SERIOUSLY, NOW.

One of my best friends booked a campsite for the August 6 weekend.

He told me this yesterday - it is him, another mutual great friend of ours, and my 2 brothers...I immediately told him that I MYSELF could not possibly go...because I would find myself swimming in a sea of whisky by 9 pm the first night out camping.

At least, I know ONE thing to avoid, this summer.

Peace.

Kelly
Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a wise decision to me, Kelly

D
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Next summer maybe!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NO summer

I have vivid memories of beer and wine coolers and whisky....can't even IMAGINE E N J O Y I N G myself without it...I guess I am TRULY far gone.

Camping + Drunk > hardwired, I am...not matter HOW MUCH I can stay sober when NOT camping.

Kelly the Non-Camper.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are going to miss the mosquitoes too, another plus to not going!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe go camping if that is something you enjoy doing...with your family sober next summer?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My family

are not into camping.

Thanks anyways, though.

Kelly
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
I have vivid memories of beer and wine coolers and whisky....can't even IMAGINE E N J O Y I N G myself without it...I guess I am TRULY far gone.

Camping + Drunk > hardwired, I am...not matter HOW MUCH I can stay sober when NOT camping.

Kelly the Non-Camper.
I'm the same way. There are many activities I'm going to have to avoid for a long time because I associate them with drinking and know I will be miserable sober. This alone should help us realize that we have a problem since we require alcohol to enjoy nearly everything we do. Bowling, check. Tubing, check. Family events, check. Sporting events, check. The beach, check. Restaurants, check. Concerts, check. I could go on forever.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you know Kelly, the road to recovery is not always an easy one.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On my road in recovery I've heard "them" say that once you get sober it's good to try to do the opposite of what you used to do.

Such as the same old drive you used to take to work, try a different route. Or the same meal you order at Mickey D's, try new ones. Even the way you do your chores at home, do them in a different order in a different way.

It changes the patterns in our brains because they are so hard-wired to the old way of thinking. If you change your pattern of thinking you will get different results.

So maybe instead of camping...You could do a Hotel in a new city? Or stay at home with a movie and no kids? Try something new and Exciting!

It's hard to change your old pattern of thinking but we can do it.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Changing patterns

One pattern hard to change is finding ways to get from work to home WITHOUT PASSING A LIQUOR STORE....

There are more liquor stores in this friggin' city than bees have honey.

:-<
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

One part of recovery I found is that I don't like some things, I tolerated them drunk. Going camping, when I work my butt off to put a roof over my head, just doesn't make sense anymore. I will take my air conditioning and xbox 360. You can keep your tent.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kelly, I totally relate to the drunk camping... wow. Yeah, maybe go with something totally different like the others have suggested... If I went camping right now I'm sure I'd feel something was missing

Maybe a long weekend in some city you've wanted to visit for a long while? Like at a B&B, dinner at a cool restaurant...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Kelly, you are making a wise choice.

I thought camping was out of the question for me too when I first got sober. Camping to me meant beer for breakfast, drink all day and hit the hard stuff early in the evening. It was drink from dawn to nearly dawn. I had no clue what one would do camping and not drinking. It made no sense to me at all.

My first camp out sober was an AA camp out. If I remember right it was around 5 months sober. I learned there that there are many things one can do when camping besides drink. I did not camp again until about 5 years sober though as life kept me to busy to try again. It has been a process learning over the past few years since then that there are a lot of things that I truly enjoy while camping now that I did not even realize existed when I was drunk camping. One nice thing is I don't have to worry about falling in the fire.....lol Did that drunk, needless to say it was not fun. Hard to explain away the burns without looking like a drunken idiot. Today I truly enjoy camping and am thankful I have been able to rediscover it sober.

I do hope that as the years pass for you that you consider trying it sober with sober friends, you may find it something you truly love but then again you may hate it. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, keep it as an option for the future when you feel stronger.

Take care. I think you are doing great.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kelly the Non-Camper.

No, I couldn't either... But I do now... And I was far gone... Couldn't even begin to see (enjoying) it in my mind... But it's your sobriety my friend, do what you must, or in this case, not do...

I go by the axiom that I can do anything I want, or like to do, except drink.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sounds like you made a wise choice Kelly , I know I could not go camping w/o getting smashed even just on the way there.

Good for you and keep on going foward
Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I had this same issue come up a few weeks ago, My BF and I had decided to camp out. I am clean after a relapse two months ago and he stopped drinking one month ago. We were on our way and he said he really wanted to stop for some beer, that beer and camping simply went hand in hand, for me the bugaboo was hard stuff, but I knew where he was coming from. I had earlier mentioned to my roomate that I could not conceive of camping without alcohol.

My boyfriend was simply bringing up the temptation, he didn't stop, but it was helpful to know that we were both experiencing that feeling. I think the key is to camp with someone who doesn't drink, or is really ok with not drinking in that situation.

Learning to face life, even the good stuff substance free is a challenge that presents itself in new ways every day. But since life in general is better without substances, for me, I trust that the activities and events that are not based on substance use, can be too, the others, I just have to steer clear of.

I like that many 12 step groups plan activities that usually involve substance,( bowling, ball games, camp outs) so that we get to participate in those things without the temptation and substances, and we get a chance to practice doing those things sober.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went camping in my first year of sobriety...it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....alcohol had controlled my life for so long..I wasn't going to let it control something I love to do!! not anymore!! do whatever makes you comfortable.....that's the main thing!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

At least, I know ONE thing to avoid, this summer.
I can identify. For me it was golf trips - there were two group trips I would go on every year, they were great fun but for me were all about drinking. It was hard to explain my absence to some of the not-so-close friends with whom I didn't feel it was nec/wise to share my sobriety, but whatever...

The funny thing is, now that I don't drink my game is so much better I could probably win back some of the money I lost trying to putt with DTs.

It's an adjustment, not a sacrifice.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FT

Neuropsych

Originally Posted by Roosiedoll View Post
On my road in recovery I've heard "them" say that once you get sober it's good to try to do the opposite of what you used to do.

Such as the same old drive you used to take to work, try a different route. Or the same meal you order at Mickey D's, try new ones. Even the way you do your chores at home, do them in a different order in a different way.

It changes the patterns in our brains because they are so hard-wired to the old way of thinking. If you change your pattern of thinking you will get different results.

So maybe instead of camping...You could do a Hotel in a new city? Or stay at home with a movie and no kids? Try something new and Exciting!

It's hard to change your old pattern of thinking but we can do it.

Good luck!
Roosie, I LOVE that you brought this up.

This is called "neuropsychology". I know we are not rats, but studies have shown that setting down new neural pathways by repetitive behavior actually retrains the brain to think in another way. A better way, if that is what you are after.

For my husband, he could no longer play pool with his buddies. The pool/beer connection was too strong. Twenty years later, he still does not want to play pool, because he doesn't think he would enjoy it sober.