Notices

Starting over

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Starting over

So, I came home Wednesday night to find that my wife was three sheets to the wind. I tried to keep it together, but I ended up snatching one of her beers and chugging it down. I know I should have called my sponsor or one of my friends in AA, but I guess I haven't been doing this long enough for that to be my first response. I even stuck my finger down my throat to get the beer out of me, but it was too late. I started drinking yesterday morning, called work and lied to my boss, almost did something (else)incredibly stupid that would have landed me in jail for sure....all in all, just a horrible day. So I'm back on Day 1, and while I know that beating myself up over it accomplishes nothing, I can't help but feel like I've failed.

--Fenris.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The best thing is you posted what happened. I promised my sposor I would call him before I decided to drink again. I looked him in the eye. I can't lie to him. He is good to me and we are building a good friendship, could be life saving for both of us.

You know where to get help so do it. You have to want sobriety more than anything else in the world. I am talking to myself as much as you as I am a newbie too and I struggle also.

Hang in there.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Fenris, but I'm glad your back. Learn from your mistakes and get back at it, you can do it.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

just start again, it took me multiple starts, but it will get better. Also analyzing why I picked back up helped me to have a plan in recovery.
With me my drinking was 70% relationship related and 30% job related. Every time I was feeling unloved in the relationship I would drink, to make the pain go away. Job related every time I would worry I would drink. It took me a while to find drinking will help neither....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back and thinking about what happened. And you seem to have gotten a hold of it really quickly--and your impulse control is getting better. Hang in there. We all know what the goal is.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is to learn from what happened - you know what you should have done - don't beat yourself up - just make your mistake into something useful now

Welcome back
D
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If

my wife was drunk when I got home, that would be a definite trigger for ME.

Why don't you BOTH stop drinking?

Do you think SHE is Powerless Over Alcohol?

Kelly
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Kelly, she doesn't think so and I know I'm not supposed to pronounce anyone "alcoholic", but sure, I think she has a problem. I've asked her to quit several times, at least for a while until I get a little sober time under my belt, and after yesterday, I think she might be more willing to stop.