Notices

More Guilt

Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More Guilt

So I went to the grocery store with my 3-year-old today and we were just finishing putting the groceries away and she said, "Mommy, you forgot to get your wine!" I feel so guilty over of the amount the watched me drink and how much they were aware of...my 8 year old asked me 2 weeks ago to stop drinking wine because I drank too much of it and it is bad for you and it still took me a week to quit! I am reading on here what it is like to be a child of an alcoholic (My dad is one as well, but some-what "high-functioning") and I can't believe what that puts a child through and I am so afraid I will relapse in the future...just over-whelmed with thoughts today and really struggling...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snoopy,

It's good that you recognize that your drinking was hurtful for your children. That cannot and should not be denied. I went through the same thing myself. However, you need to not get overwhelmed at this point, because it can trigger relapse if you aren't able to manage to get through this emotions. The main thing right now is to stay sober and when you feel guilty about your children, remind yourself that what you're doing today is taking care of yourself and your family.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ETA

I think that's where the mantra "one day at a time" comes in to play. Don't take on your whole life all at once. Just get through today.

Your children are young and you have plenty of years to give them fun and loving memories.

You are doing the right thing - be good to yourself.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

What those kids need most is for you to take good care of their mommy. They need her.

Hang in there. You are not alone and you can do this. I have two little ones too. Best thing I ever did was get sober and be present for them.

Much love.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of guilt for 20 years of drinking and bad behaviour too...but every day I lived sober I got that little farther away from who I'd become and got closer again to who I was meant to be.

I'm sure you will too Snoopy...like Anna says - focus on the task of staying sober for now...thats more than enough to deal with...

Amends and mending fences can come later when you're better prepared to deal with it all

D
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's hard to believe right now, but it does get better with time.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day at a time. The past is gone. You are the only mother your children have.