Notices

Do you know about Women for Sobriety?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you know about Women for Sobriety?

I am hoping to find a local support system for my recovery. One of the other threads listed support systems including Women for Sobriety. I looked them up and was going to enter my contact information so that I could find out if there is a group near me. But when it came to my phone number I got nervous.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with Women for Sobriety? Is it something one pays for?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Clearly a dude-heavy forum, eh MI7?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know too much about it, but I think you should try anything that will work for you.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no idea. Is there a number you can contact them instead?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't but will PM a member who probably knows....hope she will get back to you...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Missy...I am private messaging U with some info you will need.....
Missducky
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Missy--I love WFS--I used to get their newsletter. Their founder, Jean Kirkpatrick, has an amazing autobiography called TURNABOUT you may want to check out. Their website offers it and I believe you can also get it on Amazon.

Someone please feel free to correct me--seems to me WFS is a bit more new age than some of the other paths to sobriety. Just food for thought!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Missy, I use WFS as part of my recovery/sober strategy. You do not have to pay anything, it's donation based... just like AA. I highly recommend WFS to any woman. If you aren't religious (and even if you are) it will appeal to you... there is no "higher power" requirement. The program was started by Jean Kirkpatrick in the 70's. It's based on 13 Acceptance Statements.

What I like about WFS is that it's empowering and addresses issues that are unique to women in sobriety. It's very positive and supportive... but it encourages women to empower themselves... to find and develop the parts of yourself that alcohol abuse tends to squelch out, and it turns out these can be very different from men's issues.

PM if you'd like to know more about my experience with WFS. I've been involved in it for over one year now and really like it. I combine WFS with SMART and my own reading/research.

Here is a link to get you started: http://www.womenforsobrietyonline.com/?forum=133983

It's a link to the home page, mission statement, 13 acceptance statements, levels of growth & group info.