Notices

Day 3

Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

I am very pleased to be 3 days sober. Absolutely No Alcohol. I did have some urges, but they were not overwhelming.
I have been keeping busy during the day at work, and on this site
In the evenings I try to cook an early dinner for me and my kids and then we head out to do something active as a family.
I am worried that I haven't quite hit the rough patch of quitting. Is there anyone out there that can help me with what they went through regarding withdrawl...etc., and what days were the worst for you.

I did speak with my bf this morning about our previous consumption and that i am not drinking, and would appreciate it if he would not drink at home. He is totally supportive, and said that he has been thinking about this for awhile now, and was so glad that I brought it up and came to the conclusion on my own.
I told him, that I need to go to bed early in the evenings, instead of staying up late, which is when we would have a couple bottles of wine.
3 days down and a life time to go.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by nic6425 View Post
Is there anyone out there that can help me with what they went through regarding withdrawl...etc., and what days were the worst for you.
I don't think I had too many physical withdrawals...no shaking, no sweating, no insomnia. Maybe because I was so exhausted from late night drinking that I slept through that part.

Mental withdrawals? Big time, and for the first 30 days. Anxiety that I wanted to relieve with drinking, as well as just obsessing about drinking all the time. But I didn't cave and everything in my life has gotten better now that I'm not drinking.

I should have read your earlier posts, so I don't know the extent of your problem with drinking and if you have a recovery plan. But if you are serious about quitting, don't disregard anything. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 too...keep it going! I had the best night in months last night putting my kids to bed SOBER for the first time in MONTHS and we read stories and played games...I am also very nervous what will happen the first full weekend they go to their dad's and how I will fill the time - very scared! I also feel like I haven't even come close to the really hard times, but I am trying to not think about it and just know I am not going to drink today! I actually just ended my relationship with my bf because he is a high-functioning alcoholic and all we did was drink wine together - I mean ALL we did, but your bf sounds a lot more supportive and ready for change as well...good luck to you!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After the short haul, comes the long haul! Just stopping is just the beginning. Having a program of some sort makes all the difference.

I too was a 'wino'. Drinking one or 2, 750ml bottles a night (sometimes more.) I went cold turkey but did not suffer DTs. At the time I knew cold turkey was a little dangerous, but not just HOW dangerous.

If you do get shakes, you may require medical treatment. Shakes also come with super high blood pressure which can cause hemorrhaging and bleeding out at the base of the esophagus or along the GI tract. Lethal.

Be careful and good luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your through day 3 without any major withdrawal problems you might have gotten lucky. My first week was the worst; shakes, no sleep, panic attacks, a whole lot misery. Keep taking one day at a time and come back to Sober Recovery when you feel the need for some help. Good luck, you can do it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety
Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nic

Withdrawal is different for everyone I think - there's so many individual factors at play. If you're concerned about anything at all, it's always best to get professional medical advice.

We do have a thread here of member's withdrawal experiences - it may be useful to you..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Congratulations on day 3 - it's great you have such a supportive partner

D
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your decision.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three days!

The fourth day was always a killer for me. The anxiety, panic and general unpleasantness of the last drunk was gone. So, I figured I could drink again!
Repeat for about 25 years, and you'll have some idea what my life was like.

Please take good care of yourself, you deserve it. You can save yourself years of misery.

It doesn't have to be forever, it can be just for today. One day at a time. Looking at forever for me was a nightmare. I couldn't imagine not drinking for that long. But, I sure can not drink today.

Keep at it. Do anything you can to keep sober, AA coming here or some other program.

Best to you.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing great! And you are so lucky to have such an understanding boyfriend. I like that you are including your family in your recovery and enjoying those critical experiences instead of drinking.

I do think that as we move into the next days it become a different kind of challenge. I went through several six day withdrawals. I was feeling good and happy and figured I could manage a drink or two. That screwed me up over and over.

But I am now on day nineteen and feel better than ever. I do not ache to drink, but if I run into a roadblock in my life, I do wish I could have a drink. That's where I need to work.

Hang in there and welcome to SR.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i read that withdrawals get worse the more often you do them for proven biochemical reasons, i don't know if i'm allowed to link to external sites here so look up 'kindling (substance withdrawal)' on wikipedia because it should be another deterrant to starting again, you probably got off lucky this time, but i've tried quitting halfheartedly and with the wrong systems (for me) before and each time it got that bit tougher phsyically and emotionally.