Notices

What happens in Rehab?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happens in Rehab?

I am just wondering what people do in rehab? What are you days like start to finish? Is there requirements that need to be filled on your stay? See, when I think of rehab I picture a setting like the movie one flew over the cuckoo's nest but with a bunch of alcoholics.

I'm just real interested in detail on what happens in them, things you do, is it strict, can you leave if you wanted too, are meals timed, and other stuff to that effect. Is it as confined as say jail? As you can see I'm quite clueless to what its like in one.

I'm just wondering out of pure curiosity.

Thanks all!!!

-Ryan
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son was in rehab and I was pretty familiar with his schedule. Heck no, it's not like jail OR a hospital. You are an adult and can walk out of there at any time you choose. His rehab was on a very nice campus with rolling hills and beautiful trees.

Have you seen the movie 28 Days? That's pretty close to reality.

My son's day was something like this: He shared a room (kinda like a 'motel' setting) with one guy and they got to be close friends. Breakfast was at 7:30, then a speaker, then 12-step study, and step work. Lunch. Appt with individual counselor, then group therapy. Recreation for an hour+ or so (they had a nice pool!), go to the gym, just hang out under the trees, etc. Dinner at 5:30, another speaker in the evening and 12 step meeting, homework, gym, and lights out at 10:00. Family visits were on Saturdays from like 1:00-5:00. They left campus every so often to attend AA meetings in town.

The days are quite full with lots of hard emotional work, but there was plenty of down time too. Even though my son is not sober now (weed is his DOC), he says it was the best thing we ever did for him. He learned a lot.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what happens in rehab, stays in rehab!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
:rotfxko
Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
hahaha! Thats funny, thats almost what I titled this post as lol

-Ryan
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A LOT of group therapy. I would imagine that they are all pretty similar in that there is a definite daily schedule.

This is the alcoholic in me speaking, but I did not care for the one I went to.

I prefer AA and doing everything my sponsor says and living at home.

They had a lot of rules and I pretty much bucked quite a few of them. I know there was a reason for every rule, but I still didn't like it.

So I left, violated my probation and spent 9 days in jail.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was at Renaissance and it was a lot of group therapy and talking. We lived in apartment and made our own food. The schedule was pretty strict with many set activities but not much like "jail." It is just very structured. Also, you are required to go to twelve step meetings out in the community.

Eventually you move to a half-way house and get a job and show you have a place to go where you will be responsible before discharge. It was a big rule that even if one lived with family, there had to be an agreement to pay rent to them.

For me the eye-opener was being around so many addicts. I had not known many addicts or alcoholics until I was in rehab. Hearing about what they went through and watching some of them fail, was vital to my recovery.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What happens in rehab?

A whole bunch of wishy washy generic therapy, then when your insurance runs out, they show you the door, hand you a meeting list, and tell you to go to a meeting. Hmmm.....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience was Group Therapy was twice a week... Good thing, wishy washy does not begin to describe the way they ran it were I was.

Days started at 7:30. Sharp. Roll Call three times a day. Classes all day until 5:00. Breaks between classes... 10-15 mins.... Rec therapy, Lectures, CBT, Workshops (big book usually) . Dinner at 5:30 then schedule restarts at 7:30 .... AA or NA meeting followed by Step workshops until 10:00 PM. At 10:00 PM small group meeting, 10th step meeting, until 10:30. Half hour for TV (antenna picked up 2 channels, badly).... In the rooms at 11:00, lights out at 11:30.

Seven Days a week.... Slightly relaxed schedule on Sat, Visitation on Sun afternoon.

Second Month of the program for some (me and the group I was in) Leave the campus at dinner.... Eat out at an establishment that doesn't serve alcohol, with your temp sponsor and one other patient, must be member of your own gender.... Then community based AA meeting.... Must be back by 10:00 for tenth step meeting.

Women sat with women, men with men. No extended socialization between sexes, even if innocent...

Random Urine Drug Screens twice a week.... Breathalyzer on return from any extended time away, which rarely happened.

No books, newspapers, magazines radios, TV, iPods, computers.... Ever.... Reading material had to be recovery related and approved by the staff. Phone time was at scheduled times in the morning and evening. There were 4 old fashioned pay phones for the entire facility (around 100 patients, i think) ....so you had to wait you turn, calls were 5 minutes, strictly enforced by a monitor.... You could use change in the phone or get a friend or family to bring you a calling card.

There was no pool or gym. You could walk laps around the building at given times of the day.... Twice a week there was an opportunity to lift moderate weights, self directed calisthenics, etc.... I went because they played good music... Seriously, that was why I went.

There were counselors everywhere, back of the class, breaks, observing at dinner, in the meetings... Observing how patients interacted, level of enthusiasm, etc....

Therapeutic discharges were common... For breaking rules... This could be devastating if you were there for legal or career reasons.

I resented the hell out of it. I went because I had to. Funny thing, I had stopped the pills on my own, 8 weeks previously.

Well, that is what I remember, anyway, it was three years ago this sept.... This place had a lot of people from the NYPD, FDNY and City of NY... I really enjoyed those guys, with their accents and all... Friendly, really, well, except you couldn't sit at a FDNY table at supper, unless you were FDNY, seriously... LOL.... Also a lot of Doctors, Nurses.... There was an FBI agent... Over the years a few famous people had been there... Also just regular people from the community... Everyone was treated the same... Expectations were very high for behavior, attendance, involvement, attitude, enthusiasm.... Tolerance for lacking in these areas was very low.... The consequences of not giving it your all, for many, were severe.

So that's what happens were I was.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
hand you a meeting list, and tell you to go to a meeting. Hmmm.....

Well they did do that, and I had to also pre-arrange a temporary sponsor and prove that I had one in the community where I live... Or I couldn't leave.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Classes and lectures? We just had group therapy three times a day Monday through Friday (and Sunday night) and individual therapy once a week.

I wish I had a chance to learn about addiction and 12-step programs. You picked it up piecemeal but at one point I found out that I did not know what a narcotic was. I thought narcotics were downers and that cocaine and amphetamines were not. Also, I had never heard the term DUI before and it took me awhile to figure out what that was. And I did not know what was supposed to be happening at the 12-step meetings for a while. The first meetings were in such a large room that it was hard to hear much of what was said, (and the cigarette smoke was so intense that I got sick).

Some sort of grounding would have helped. I imagine that is what the classes and lectures were?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We had "small groups"... so there were about 10-12 of us... we had the same group therapy meetings, our own private 10th step meeting each day, we tended to stick close... also the different classes and such were staggered to keep them smaller, and our small group stayed together for them...

we couldn't smoke inside.

Getting grounded, hmm... This happened in the Big Book and Step workshops....
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
IMO, since more than 90% of rehabs are 12-Step Facilitation, you can get the same information for far less money by reading "Under the Influence" by James R. Milam, the big book of "Alcoholics Anonymous," "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions", and by going to AA. If you want the "rehab movie" experience, watch "Rain in my Heart" on YouTube.

Rehab does, however, provide a structured "time out" for detox.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rehab was the best thing that happened to me.
I think if you have the willingness to want to change it will help.
I don't think it was like jail....I know I've been in jail more times then I care to mention.
Jail is like being put in a warehouse of animals.....they don't lock you up for being nice.
Rehab is about getting help and hopefully learning a thing or two about yourself and your addiction.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been to two rehab facilities, and they were both quite different from each other. So I'll go over the better of the two.

First, you wake up, make your bed and clean your room. A worker would come around, check to see your room was clean, and your bed was made. From there, you'd have to do chores for about two hours. Then a group therapy session. Lunch. Then another group therapy session. Then you'd get a little break before dinner to do what you wanted. Dinner, and then an outside meeting. It was actually a really good experience for me. I'll go more into detail later, because I have to go to a meeting right now.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Obviously there is a broad range out there. But what Mark75 describes seems to be expensive but a very good plan. I think you could break almost any habit in that environment! But man, what a commitment. Good for you Mark. Do you think it made you stronger than some people are?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
No books, newspapers, magazines radios, TV, iPods, computers.... Ever.... Reading material had to be recovery related and approved by the staff.
Personally, I wouldn't give them TV at all, and I would make them stop smoking, too. Not so keen on "approving" recovery books, though.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My schedule was like this:

Monday - nutrition and life skills 9-12, classroom 1-4, meditation 4-4:30, dinner 5, in house NA meeting 7 pm

Tuesday - classroom 9-12, lunch, classroom 1-4, meditation 4:4:30, dinner 5, drive to AA meeting at a hospital in a nearby town

Wednesday - classroom 9-12, lunch, drive to gym in town for personal training and water basketball (very competitive ) then 1 hour in town to go to store, bank, etc.

Thursday - classroom 9-12, lunch, classroom 1-4, meditation 4:4:30, dinner 5, free evening

Friday - classroom 9-12, lunch, classroom 1-4, meditation 4:4:30, dinner 5, inhouse AA meeting 8 pm

Saturday - group outing or misc. activity. We had a self defense instructor come in twice while I was there.

Sunday - drive to gym in am, store, lunch, 1 hour CBT therapy session, family visiting, and then an open family AA meeting after dinner.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing. What happens in a daily outpatient rehab program, since you obviously get to go home every night but must spend all day at the treatment center? Is the schedule much different?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I didn't smoke before I went in, I had quit, but I soon picked it back up... There are several schools of thought on that topic... myself, well, ... It was a very stressful environment with lots of difficult phases and issues... requiring everyone to quit smoking too might have shifted and changed the focus for many away from substance/alcohol addiction...

TV was 30 min of a barely audible/visible signal... it actually served as an impromptu social period where people from different small groups could get to know each other...

Books ? They had some good stuff... My favorite was Taoism and Recovery...

Food was good, clean, beautiful grounds, well trained staff...