Notices

My co-worker's boyfriend was my bartender

Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My co-worker's boyfriend was my bartender

This world is way, way too small.

Tomorrow I am interviewing for a teaching position at a private school for the hearing impaired. I decided to look on Facebook to see if I have any mutual friends with my (potential) future co-workers (it's times like these I wish Facebook didn't exist).

Lo and behold, the first employee I look up is a girl whose boyfriend is a bartender at a small concert venue I went to hundreds of times. I made an ass out of myself dozens of times there, ranging from simply getting belligerent to overdosing on drugs. Her boyfriend is well aware of my behavior.

I know that things like this are the repercussions of my using. It certainly serves as even more motivation to stay sober.

But still...COME ON. Really? This is literally one of the most poisonous and unlikely "bad word of mouth" situations I could have wound up in. After spending 7 months on another continent, I finally made the decision to stay in my hometown instead of running away from my problems. Now THIS happens.

It almost seems like I'm better off living somewhere else. And yet, moving is expensive, stressful, confusing, isolating...

I was really hoping for a fresh start, and I figured of all places, a school for the hearing impaired would be a safe haven for my reputation. Think again, muchacho. I guess having a job and a reputation is better than having no job at all, though...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just reading about something similiar. The past choices we make influence our future. It is up to us to make the right choice to alter our future to be beneficial.
But what I read was more on an emotional level not in actions. It is your reaction to the situation and how if it happenes again you'd have the same response because your past experience predicted your feelings.
Things creep up into our lives without warning. The past has a nasty way of resurfacing with a new twist. It will be how you react to it that changes how others react to your actions -if that makes sense. I know what I want to say.....!

Believe me, I understand small town gossip....this town has 1000. I don't let it bother me. I know who I am, what I have become and all I can do is prove by my actions that I am a new me.
I've also learned that more people than I thought have issues that are far worse than mine. And they really don't care all that much about me.