Notices

Waiting For Rock Bottom

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting For Rock Bottom

I found this place last night and joined a chat room and shared a little. It is honestly the first time other than in my head that I’ve been really honest about my problem and that felt great. I’m hoping if I keep coming back I will find the courage to take the first step.

Drink is consuming my whole life, I don’t drink from morning till night but I do drink almost every day definitely every day of the last 3 months. I wake up with the battle waging in my head about this being a day I drink or try and stop.

I've engineered an excuse that justifies my drinking but because I don’t follow through with the plan it’s just a farce.

I've read so much about quitting that I’ve filled my head with all these terrible symptoms I may suffer if I stop dead that it could be fatal!! So I’ve decided to try and wean myself off drink by drinking a little less each day- only I DON'T.

Sometimes I gradually drink less and less day by day for maybe 2 or 3 days then the weekend comes and I go mad.

It’s like I’m waiting for something to happen either health wise or emotionally that will be my rock bottom that I have no choice but to climb back from.

what makes me so mad is I’m not stupid, be it drink or drugs they have been my downfall forever and have stopped me achieving so much I haven't hit even a fraction of my potential because of all this rubbish and I just can’t seem to fix it. I mean at 32 I haven’t even learnt to drive partly because I know I would drink and drive.

What a fool I feel

Sharing that felt good

I will be back, I’m glad I found you all
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi and welcome (((()))) so glad you are here with us, there is so much helpful information to be had here and lots of experience to share as well as understanding, hope, strength and courage.

First of all, you might be waiting around until the day you die - for that rock bottom you speak of. Even if/when it does come, too many times people will still use/drink. They lose everything including hope, self worth, etc and continue the destructive cycle. Sad but true.

I am glad you are here sharing, looking forward to hearing more about you

-Jess
Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

One thing I learned through watching others is that we can get off the elevator at anytime. We don't have to ride it to the bottom where our lives are destroyed and we have caused pain and devastation to others. I am fortunate I chose to get off the elevator a few floors before the bottom and that was close enough to it for me. I do hope that you find you too can get off the elevator before you hit the bottom floor. I encourage you to do so.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I waited for rock bottom.

Don't wait - I actally drank past a lot of things that should have been a rock bottom for any sane human being.

Like nandm says, we can decide to stop anytime - I decided I couldn't live my life the way it was a second longer - I see that decision as my bottom

Welcome to SR DGG

D
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

There is hope drgoodgreen. Being here at SR is the start of your way out of addiction. Now you have an addiction treatment plan that has begun here at SR. There are other things you will be able to add to it as you practice recovery skills.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
There is hope drgoodgreen. Being here at SR is the start of your way out of addiction. Now you have an addiction treatment plan that has begun here at SR. There are other things you will be able to add to it as you practice recovery skills.

Welcome Dr GG
Couldn't agree more with Zen.

SR can be a powerful start to your recovery.

Hope to see you around

Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Trust me, the rock bottom will come if you don't stop it now.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse if you don't stop it. I hope you take a look around here and read and learn.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, there is a solution.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rock bottom can be tramatic or not so tramatic. It can be just the simple fact that you've realized your life has become unmanagable or you could seriously hurt someone or you, yourself could get hurt.
I just can't see why anyone would want to hit that point -consider it hit now and just quit. Tapering, moderation, reducing...whatever you need to call it -doesn't work. Quitting all together does.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

My bottom was mental...I could not quit drinking when I tried....and I felt so depressed and empty. It was a dark time in my life.
external circumstances had nothing to do with my depression....it stemed from alcoholism.

Too many drinkers sit around wiating for rock bottom....they die needlessly waiting....

That is when I decided to take action...I joined a local AA group..and it's wworked great for me...

Please do keep posting....you too can win over alcohol