Notices

Feeling Emotional

Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Emotional

I have been sober for 8 days. This is the longest I have been sober in about 8 years. I feel worse today than ever. I feel jittery, mad and every other emotion imaginable at once. I don't know what to do anymore. I am beginning to think that I am not going down a good road here. Any advise?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Personally I think your emotions are a normal response. At least that is what I was told in early sobriety.

The reasoning behind it was that we have had a best friend who we have lost. Alcohol has been there for us through thick and thin and now we have cut it out of our lives? Of course, we would be grieving the loss of this friend even if the friend was slowly killing us. That companionship, the intimacy, knowing it would be there no matter what, etc....

So please don't be too hard on yourself or get discouraged. It is a grieving process and does take time but you will heal.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing fine.

I found that I had to figure out how to deal with all the emotions that were coming at me. I had numbed myself for a long time and dealing with the feelings was new to me. Be patient with yourself.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At first my emotions swung all over the place, it was really a roller coaster but after some time things evened out a bit. I did my best to get lots of rest and tried to take some quiet time each day just to collect myself. You can do it, great job on the 8 days!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found myself feeling delayed emotions from things that had happened a year earlier. Things I thought I was 'over'. It passed though.

Hang tough! Don't give up. Give it time and be patient with yourself. It's all for good and tomorrow is another day. You just may wake up and feel fantasic
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was all over the board, too. Hang in there, Tuesday..it gets better. You're doing great. Rest was a biggie for me, as the others have said. I liked the advice to be kind to myself..that always made me breathe deep and just relax. Take baths, drink tea, turn up the AC and wear fuzzy socks. Time will go by and you'll feel better. Hugs to you!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Your on the right road, my stuff is all over the place also I know sunday and monday I really had a hard time. I just tried to stay busy reading coming here, and for me I have gone to AA meetings every day.

I only have 15 days most in 20 some years

We can do this Tuesday24 lets just stick togather