Notices

Moral Dilemma

Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moral Dilemma

A young woman knocked at my door. She does not recognize me but I do remember her from my bartending days. She is a meth addict. She tells me she has strep throat and is seeking monetary assistance. I tell her I have no money and she leaves. The thing is, I tell her no because I believe she is going to spend the money on dope.

The fact is that she could be telling the truth, and drug addict or not, needs medical attention. In our state, if she doesn't have kids she will not qualify for medical assistance.

Did I do the right thing?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could you take her to the doctor? I have done that for people asking for $ outside the grocery store, taken them inside and bought them food rather than just hand them cash.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

She is just knocking on random doors looking for money? That's bizarre!

Hopefully she could go to an ER if she needs medical help.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People randomly asking for money happens often. ER is not required to anything not life threatening without insurance. I live in a poor State, In a lower middle class neighborhood. I had a man knock on my door a while back looking for dentistry money for his kid. He works but with no insurance, not enough money for the dentist yet earns too much for public assistance. The kid was standing next to him..

Yes, Bikebuy, If I had enough money for her medical care, but I don't. If I could pitch in a few dollars to help, I would have. And, yes, I do the same thing outside grocery stores on a regular basis.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Auggie, don't feel bad.

I give money to people on the street too, but not all the time, and sometimes I give them food. It's very hard when you know people need more than you can give.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ETA

I think you did the right thing. Your assumption is most likely correct that she will be using it on drugs but even if not true do you really want to have word get out that you give money to folks who knock? I will give money sometimes on the street but I draw the line with people coming to my house.

I live in a "transitional neighborhood" and people knock on doors just to get a look at the inside and find out things like if there is a dog there.

Perhaps you could do some research to see what resources might be available in your community to have on hand for the next person knocking on your door.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I had a bad experience with someone asking for money. They were on the corner with a sign "please help need food". So I had a deli sandwich I had just bought at the store, it was in a wrapped package with the label still on it so it was easy to see that it was not opened since it still had the seal on it. So I tried to give it to the man. He yelled at me and threw the sandwich back at me saying "what are you, stupid? I need money for food not food."

That experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I no longer donate to anyone but legitimate charities. I am sure he was just trying to get money to buy drugs or alcohol and that is why the attitude about the food. Personally, as bad as I feel for those that are legitimately in need of assistance I will not give anything at this point in my life.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This reminds me of something that happened last night... my boyfriend really likes to give money and fast food gift cards to people on the street. I am not so nice, I guess... or not so trusting it will go to good use. Anyway, we pull up beside this guy with a bike full of stuff strapped to it... all kinds of bags and things. He smelled awful, and it was obvious he wasn't all there, some mental things going on... B asked if he needed food. He carried on about this, that, and everything under the sun before B had to ask again... Sir, do you need anything to eat? Are you hungry? The dude said NO, but I would like some gatorade. So B hands him a few dollars. He points to the store across the street and said, NO, it's over there. Go get it for me. LOL. So, off we go to buy the guy his gatorade. I'm like: Look what you've got us doing now... delivery service for the homeless guy. The cashier inside let us know he has mental problems and also anger problems. And that when he twists his bags it means he's pissed... well, he sure was twisting his bags the entire time we were talking with him. So I was concerned about going back to hand him the gatorade... what if he pulled a gun?? B insisted on returning with the gatorade... we drove up, briefly chatted, gave him his drink and drove off in a hurry
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna. Thank you ETA and nandm. I think looking into local resources to direct people to is an excellent idea. I have the capability to put together a list for those without. I feel better already.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober J - There but for the Grace of God. My brother is scitzo. He also happens to have a loving family. Some do not. And I LOVE your boyfriends idea with the gift cards.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, Auggie I also think his gift card idea is good Better than money, for sure.