Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with bad decisions made regarding family and drugs?

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So last night at my uncle's house (for the 4th), one of his friends approached me and offered to let me share his marijuana with him for the night. My sister and grandmother were there, and I knew they would be upset if I were to choose to do this. I decided to do it anyway because I allowed the desire to be high override my judgment in that I decided to go along with a bad decision knowing it would hurt others.

I've already apologized to my sister this morning, but she is still very upset and she won't return any of my further texts. Consciously, I know I need to let her be, but the OCD part of me makes this tremendously difficult.

I know what the best thing to do in this situation is: avoid beating myself up for the sake of moving on faster and making better decisions. This seems almost impossible now, though, considering the amount of guilt and regret that I feel. I keep being reminded of future consequences that haven't even happened yet, all the while it feels impossible to look past what I am feeling right now.

So, I assume that most of you have made the same types of decisions, maybe with bigger consequences. What is the best thing to do in this situation, as far as moving on from these overwhelming feelings and getting on to fixing the damage that has been done by bad decisions?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You made your decision last night and now you are facing the consequences. Let your sister be. She'll be angry as long as she decides to be angry. You've apologized and that's all you can do. She has a right to her feelings, so move on and try not to make the same mistake again.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have to let it go because you cannot control how your sister feels about you and the choice you made last night.

There really is no way to fix the damage that we've done while drinking/using drugs. The only thing we can do is to show others by how we're living our lives, that we are changing. And, patience is needed.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You have to let it go because you cannot control how your sister feels about you and the choice you made last night.

There really is no way to fix the damage that we've done while drinking/using drugs. The only thing we can do is to show others by how we're living our lives, that we are changing. And, patience is needed.
Well it feels impossible and so painful because I have not smoked marijuana in almost two months now, because I decided to abide my my mom's rules and not use it when home, and respect the feelings of my family. In a matter of 10 minutes, this was largely ignored. It's not like I came home from school and within 2 days I decided to use. It happened after I made a decision and decided to follow it.