Notices

Sobriety, Menopause, and the Mauve Cloud

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety, Menopause, and the Mauve Cloud

At Day 16 I'm finding life to be a mixed bag. Some things are good. Some are less good. Maybe I'm finding my way into myself without the defense of alcoholism. That is scary.

I'm reeling through the emotions. I must contribute that my sister has just disowned me. It was honesly unfair--on careful sober reflection--so I won't give details. But I come from a long-term alcoholic family and we are emotionally strange. She does not drink and this is not about my drinking. But she is shunning me and my children completely for something we didn't do.

So maybe that has something to do with it. But I do feel a bit anxious and frightened, and emotional. I could dull it down with a drink. I doubt that I will do that--but I could. That's a challenging knowledge.

This could be menopause. I suppose I should check the women's forum. If anyone knows of an active menopause thread I would appreciate it. I'm not that good at searching for them.

Anyway. I appreciate very much that I feel quite well. I love that my skin tone is evening out. I love honest sleep. I love that others can trust I am sober. I'm very hurt by my sister. I'm upset and confused about my weight. I'm struggling to remain absolutely active.

I'll bet you'll say it gets better. I hope so.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

menopausal symptoms and the weight gain can make you feel pretty craptastic....nothing like waking up in the AM or middle of the night, looking like you just ran 6 miles..sweaty, clammy, hot an cold all the time, brain fog without alcohol.

See your ob-gyno and describe your symptoms..get a bone scan and take their advice. I needed short term HRT for about 1 year, then I was fine when I stopped drinking.

it is naturally harder to lose weight in this time of our lives...but a LOT of exercise and a good diet will help.