Notices

Trying to be free..

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Trying to be free..

Hello Everybody,
My name is Sid and Im here because of my addiction to painkillers. I have severe back pain so I get them legitametely but inside I want to stop taking them. I have attempted so many times in the past but two things usually stop me, the pain itself and from what I read, something called Post Acute Withdrawal syndrome. It is so hard for me. Im currently doing physical therapy to make my back stronger and have my muscles compensate for my difficulties. But what is worse is the PAWS. The longest I have been off is one month. Depression gets to me as well as boredom and anxiety after the physical withdrawals subside. Im not on a high amount, but I want to get rid of this monkey on my back and lead a happy life even if it is with pain.
Im here at SR for support and advice. I really need some help. I have a desire to stop and I have no doubt that I have a problem.
I need tips to stay off this crap.
I used to be big into fitness and bodybuilding and now Im just getting out of shape.
Im glad I found this site. I look forward to corresponding with you all.
Sid
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ETA

Hi Sid,

I don't have any experience with pain killer addiction. It sounds like you will need support in real life - I can't imagine that online support would be enough.

It's not quite the same but I got severly depressed every time I quit smoking. It got to the point where I was afraid to quit. In the end I realized quitting was more important and I had to do it.

There are a lot of things that will help with depression - of course therapy and medication.

I took a Mindfulness Mediation for Pain Managment. I took the class for emotional pain but there were many people in the class who had chronic physical pain.

John-Kabot Zinn is the leader in this field:
Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief - Jon Kabat-Zinn

And here's an NPR story on it:
Meditation a Hit for Pain Management : NPR

Also - I have several friends who do yoga for pain managment. It has really helped them.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Sid and welcome! So glad to have you hear with us

I, too, suffer from addiction to painkillers and have several pain conditions that led me there. I just kicked 'em and after a week and a half of physical w/d's, I am back into my routine & have my energy back. All I can suggest is face to face support systems and keeping yourself busy. I suffer from mental illness on top of everything else and it makes recovery VERY hard but I refuse to give up.

Unfortunately PAWS is something that is going to happen but it's all about how you deal with it and the tools that you use. Online support will help (that's what I'm using!) but many people find it essential to have face to face support. You can do this and we will be with you every step of the way. There are a lot of threads on the substance abuse forums which I suggest you check out.

-Jess
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR