Notices

Hey Everyone

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fonz

Hey Everyone

Hey everyone I'm new to this and Don't really know where to begin. Today is my first day sober off of opiate pain meds. Ive been on them for a little over 3 years. What do I expect for withdrawls and how long will they last? I'm really afraid but know I need to get my life in order for myself and my family.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Fonz! I can't answer any questions about withdrawal length...don't know. Congrats on taking your life back.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

Cant really answer cause everyone a little different but opiates withdrawl is almost the same as alcohol, just not as deadly, but if you dont feel like it alright get you as# to the ER

Good luck , and nice choice change that way of life
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Fonz,

We can't really give medical advice although maybe somebody has a prior experience of what they went through that they can share (alas, not me! sorry wasn't my drug of choice).

Congrats on taking the first step and please don't be shy about seeing your doc about detoxing - the little I do know (from anxiety meds that I've tried to cold turkey) is that withdrawals can be brutal even lethal - so I would suggest seing your doctor to be safe.

Welcome to the family!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For about a week I had cold sweats, chills, runny nose, constant sneezing, diarrhea, anxiety and depression. It feels so awful but it does go away. After about a week it got slightly better each day. Hang in there! I was using opiates of any kind for the past 2 years.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Fonz))) - welcome to SR!!

I think if you check out the substance abuse forum, you'll find many stores of what people went through with opiate withdrawal. It isn't pretty, but it CAN be the last time you every have to go throgh it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fonz. And congrats on sober Day 1
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Medical detox is the way to go. As for a start in having an addiction treatment plan, keep active here at SR. Also have a look at some addiction treatment literature.
Keep active with your treatments and you will come a long way out of the life draining deal active addiction is.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Fonz So glad you've made the decision to get your life back.

I just got done quitting opiates cold turkey - again. I can only share my experiences...I was absolutely miserable for a week with : cold/hot flashes, excessive sweating, RLS but my entire body - not just legs, insomnia, extreme fatigue and weakness, not being able to eat or drink anything without paying for it - vomiting and the chits, running nose, yawning, anxiety and depression.....

Nightmare to say the least but you can do this!!! I made it out and now I am feeling sooo much better after about a week and a half. The last half a week was spent getting my energy back. The anxiety and depression is still here but I've grown more used to that because I've dealt with it for a very, very long time.

If you need help, seek medical attention as c/t isn't for everyone. Keep posting and I'll be reading...

-Jess
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heyyyyy! Welcome.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!