Notices

Strange Using Dream

Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange Using Dream

Hi everyone! I've been on and off this site for a while now. I just wanted to get your thoughts on an unusual using dream I had last night. I'm no stranger to these dreams as I've had several bouts of sobriety during my struggle and I know they come and go. However, something stood out with this dream that I wanted to mention.

Usually, when I have these using dreams, I get completely smashed. It's me going out to a bar and going wild or something similar. This time my dream involved rationalizing having just one beer. I went out to the fridge in the garage and cracked open one beer. I vividly remember rationalizing having this one beer. I thought to myself in the dream, "It's just one. It's no big deal." After this rationalizing, cracking open the bottle, and taking a sip, I woke up. Today, I feel slightly out of it. Not necessarily hungover but that feeling you get when you've had a few drinks the night before and you're just a little fuzzy.

I don't really have much to add to this except that I think my mind is trying to ease my concerns about alcohol and get me to go back to the bottle. Obviously, I don't want to do this and for today, I won't. I guess I'm just looking for people's thoughts on why, this time, it was just one drink in the dream and why I was rationalizing in the dream. That's not usually the way it goes.

One more thing to add is that a few hours before bed, I was listening to some of that music that sort of glorifies alcohol use. Rap, dance music, and such. Maybe that's a trigger. I don't know. On a side note, it bothers me that our culture glorifies such behavior. It makes you feel a little unusual when you're trying to deviate from that but that's for another post.

On the brighter side, my first day of sobriety was June 29 so I've got a few days; enough to know I like it better this way as opposed to being hungover all the time. If you've seen my earlier posts, I've been struggling with keeping sober this long for a few months now. Anyways, this has been long enough. I'm off to do some yard work at my house. Have a good 4th everyone.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Using dreams for me are bizarre. When I awaken from one I chuckle to myself...wow what my mind can concoct when I'm in REM sleep. As long as all is well in the awakened world, its all good by me
Old 07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah using dreams are weird. i see no rhyme or reason to them. good to see you posting with us forlove!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No doubt drinking dreams can really be a trip, I dont mind them at all when I wake up and realize thats all it was a dream. Ah then back to sleep

I see your from Houston, I grew up in The Woodlands

keep on keepin on
Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dreams are crazy, in some i only have a sip before waking in one i didnt drink at all but was in the rain going through wet cardboard boxes in sloppy red mud trying to find some beer.

But they are only dreams, I read that we have theses dreams simply because it was something we abruptly stopped, its pretty normal, i have far few of them now after 4 months.