Notices

Not going to a Flaming Lips show...

Old 07-03-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not going to a Flaming Lips show...

One of my buddies has an extra ticket to a Flaming Lips concert this Thursday in Chicago. The 'Lips are maybe my favorite band ever, and they are known mostly for their devotion to all things psychedelic.

Needles to say, drugs are a huge part of the scene. Last time I saw them I was either on LSD or mushrooms, I can't even remember. I would love to go to this show on Thursday. I would LOVE to see them sober. Problem is, I don't think my buddy is quite so keen on doing the whole sober thing. I just don't think I am at the point where I will be able to refuse marijuana if it is offered to me (and it surely will), and obviously that would compromise my sobriety.

Not being able to go is frustrating for many reasons, but I would hate to flush nearly 6 months of sobriety down the toilet for stupid concert. Lots of things in life are stressful at the moment (unemployed, disassociating from friends, the usual). Smoking weed and spending more money definitely wouldn't help that.

I heard a great quote the other day: "The only people who don't have problems are dead people."

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From your Avatar, I'd say you like a lot of the same music I do, though I am older, LOL... "Touch of Grey" and all that... LOL

It gets better... I've been to lots of shows in recovery, many I would have attended in altered states before... I saw Furthur last year and it was awesome, didn't miss "it" at all... OCMS, Decemberists, Bluegrass festivals... all that

Maybe now is not the time, but it will come... A lot of the big festivals have the "Wharf Rats" .... Look for the yellow balloons... Recovered people enjoying music.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'd stay away from that...I'm sure you could always go at a later date when you feel more comfortable. Obviously, it's bothersome for you.
I wouldn't feel comfortable going -not at this early stage. (5 months)
Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
It gets better... I've been to lots of shows in recovery, many I would have attended in altered states before... I saw Furthur last year and it was awesome, didn't miss "it" at all... OCMS, Decemberists, Bluegrass festivals... all that

Maybe now is not the time, but it will come... A lot of the big festivals have the "Wharf Rats" .... Look for the yellow balloons... Recovered people enjoying music.
Thanks man, that's all very encouraging. I look forward to the day that I can comfortably go to music festivals. Another good thing about sobriety is that it gives me a better opportunity to save up for them and pay for the tickets!

I just read yesterday about Wharf Rats and similar sober groups for other bands like Widespread Panic and moe. I'm very excited about one day joining them.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ETA

I love me some Flaming Lips (and the Decemberists for that matter)...

I think you're coffect that the risk isn't worth it.

I have missed a lot of shows just from having kids or not having money... I seem to made it ok.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Music has a great influence on who I am as a person. Once I put in my mind that I would live my passions clean/sober. Something wonderful happened. The music, the whole seen, people in their paces with their painted faces, the total vive was more alive, real, very solid man.

I hope you can get back to the things you love, enjoy...gives you the thrill of being fully alive soon. Getting sober/clean is not intended to be a bummer.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've seen some great concerts in my life and I have the ticket stubs to prove I was there. Sad to say that the memory of concerts seen in altered states is a little sketchy.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I too am wondering when I can go to a concert and not worry about it derailing my recovery. I've hated not doing the things I enjoy, music being one of my passions. But I've long associated live concerts with getting hammered. So I'm not sure what it is I miss, the music or getting drunk. With ten months sober under my belt, I think I am close to being able to see a show without drinking. Crystal Method is coming soon and I'm thinking strongly about going. And if I'm not ready...I won't. It's just a concert. Recovery is my life.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I too am wondering when I can go to a concert and not worry about it derailing my recovery. I've hated not doing the things I enjoy, music being one of my passions. But I've long associated live concerts with getting hammered. So I'm not sure what it is I miss, the music or getting drunk. With ten months sober under my belt, I think I am close to being able to see a show without drinking. Crystal Method is coming soon and I'm thinking strongly about going. And if I'm not ready...I won't. It's just a concert. Recovery is my life.

Good luck to you.
Thanks. For me, the biggest issue with going to this concert is the fact that I know my friend is going to be using marijuana and alcohol at the very least. I think I'd be OK with going with a sober friend -- of course, I don't know ANY sober Flaming Lips fans (aside from you folks on SR).

I catch myself thinking about how my buddy has "earned" the right to use drugs, due to the success in his professional life. I gotta work on confronting that garbage and realize how it is BS. Just because someone has a good job doesn't mean that they are immune to the dangers of addiction. If I ever land a good job, that sure as hell doesn't give me a license to use again.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yea getting to a place of the mind where you have a solid directive to follow your truth no matter what, The world around offers no temptations. Then it becomes feeling the grove and having some good ole fum.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to say I kind of agree with you about the Lips. When I saw them last time, I was totally wasted and don't really remember it. On the other hand, I've enjoyed quite a few gigs sober in the past couple of months. I think part of the decision making process includes the venue, the music and who I am going with. When I saw Beady Eye a few weeks ago, everyone was drunk except me and people threw beer at me. Not a happy night!