Notices

Four weeks today!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four weeks today!

It has been four weeks now and it seems easier every day. I am to the point now where I can pour my wife her glass of wine, bring it to her, and think to myself "that really smells vile": I'm not the least bit tempted to take a sip.

I am not sure why my quitting this time was so much easier than it was the first time thirty years ago. This time it seems more like breaking a bad habit rather than creating a new way of life. Perhaps it is that my relapse was only a bit over a year; it took me 25 years to get where I was the first time.

At any rate, still sober and happy about it!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I am wondering -- is your wife's glass of wine so important to her that she can't stop drinking so that you won't be exposed to alcohol this early in recovery?

If so, maybe she has a problem, too.

In any event, I would not be pouring and serving wine to anyone at this point.

Just a friendly suggestion from one who's been there.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would not give Alcohol any place of Power in my house.
It is Poison to me as an Alcoholic.
I treat it with great caution as I do Tranqualisers.
I stay as far away from both as I can.

Alcohol.........is a Mood Changer,it numbs the Nervous system.......leading to disfunctional Families.
Benzo's/Tranqualiser/Drugs of any kind do the Same.

They have destroyed some very close and Lovely people in my life,and they nearly got me as well.
They Killed my Mother,Brother,Sister,Uncle,and many more besides in my extended family all around the world.

They,especially Alcohol has destroyed many Marriages/Relationships in my Family.

There is no such thing as a Safe alcoholic Drink.........for anyone Id say,and defenitely not for an Alcoholic.

I wish you all the Best...............let your wife pour her own Drink if she needs too.

I'm so sorry if I seem Cruel in my responce..............but as you can see I have reason too.

I can never be too cocky ,even after over 25 years of been Free of Both.

Im still dealing with the Aftermath of Distruction done By Both of those two Addictions.
I wont pass too much Disfunction to my own Family.........Im hopeing,with the amount of work I have done to learn a new way of living.

I attend........AA.........ACA.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Congrats on 4 weeks!!! Today is 3 weeks for me. Super happy about it too.
But it is still a bit of struggle. Not to not drink, just the stigma of it. Worried about that first time out surrounded by drinkers and old friends that are used to me drinking. I mean, they all know I quit and will be supportive, but still.

But anyway, I do understand about bringing your wife wine etc. I know to some it may seem like playing with fire, but to me it's training. I guess it all depends on a persons mind set. I have decided not to drink and I am happy with that decision. My wife was adamant about not drinking at all in front of me but I've been encouraging her to not feel like she can't drink in front of me. ( she is not a drinker like me btw, one drink maybe two days a week). I have no choice in life but to be exposed to alcohol. I figure I'd rather be home and safe with the one person who is supporting me who I know I can tell to stop if it is bothering me. At any point I can tell her I don't like her having a beer in front of me and she'd go dump it. She felt guilty as hell, but it really didn't bother me much to be honest. And at least now I know how I'd feel to be around it.

I must admit though, the smell is still nice, but at no point since I quit have I been even slightly tempted to actually have a sip. And besides, a sip to me is useless, it's the 12 beers/shots after that I know I would require.

It's too early in the morning, I think everything I just wrote is rambling nonsense. lol I'll leave it anyway.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your first month sober and here's to many more!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! Keep an eye on your feelings about having alcohol in the house. If it gets too hard say something!!!