Notices

struggling

Old 07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling

I quit drinking a couple of weeks this winter. But then something happened. I los a loved one. And I have been drinking more than usual. Remember I only drank at weekends. I have been drinking at weekdays as well latetly.

What should i do. Think I will stop drinking monday.

I am just so sad an depressed and I want to drink.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Roselian

I am sorry for your loss.

The thing about addiction is that it is progressive. I guess you can already see that with your relapse you have started progressing into weekday drinking. However, It is not so much how often we drink but more to do with the affect it has on us when we do drink. i.e. can we stop at 1 or 2?... no. Do we think about drinking and revolve our lives around it?... yes.... etc etc....

I recently lost a loved one too. I wont go into details as it is still quite raw, but I will say that I have not thought about drinking to get me through the grief. Why? well, for one I know that drinking wont bring her back. It would send me down the spiral that used to be my pathetic life.

Most importantly, i know that sobriety is the way I want to live my life, free of the depression it used to bring me. Yes, I am sad about losing my best friend, but I choose to grieve with a clear head. Gosh, I hope this all makes sense?

Big hugs and know that we are here to support you through recovery.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sadly, alcohol will not help, but will make things worse. I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im sory for the loss you are experiencing ...

Prior to my sobriety, I suffered the loss of my sons father.. looking back I can see I increased my drinking dramatically, trying to cope but the reality was that it held me in that grief for much longer than if I had of been sober
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Losing a loved one is damm hard. I did and it propelled me down the road of oblivion with drugs/drink.

Why not stop now? Sure it feels good to not feel at all. Yet the feelings I repressed with drink surfaced ten fold when I sobered up some decades latter.

At least think about reducing the harm if you choose to continue to drink. Eat something, don't drive, drink less than just going full tilt. Please be safe at all cost.