Notices

Here I am...

Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am...

I just returned from a funeral involving the passing of my uncle and godfather who struggled with alcoholism. He went his last 25 or so years alcohol free and continued to be one of the most funniest guys I ever met. He always made people feel better about themselves and never went back to his old habits.

Here I am... thinking that alcohol is the only way to salvage a bad day. Even when things are going great during the day... alcohol becomes the icing on the cake. Whatever the circumstances, a day off the next day means another 9-12 beers consumed as long as I make it home by 10:00 pm.

As much as I would rather watch my girls shoot baskets or swim in the small pool outside, I end up in the basement with the big screen TV and fridge calling my name.

My family defends my 6 foot body carrying 275 pounds as a victim of a slow metabolism but I know better. I can't continue this pattern if I want to live a long, sustained life.

I think I just solved my own problem, but how do I put it into action?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am sorry for the loss of your uncle.

I think you put it into action by not drinking today. Get rid of the alcohol in the house, change your daily routines to help break habits, and get the support that you need to stay sober.

There is always someone here at SR to offer support.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WELCOME! Have you ever tried to quit in the past? I'm very sorry about your uncle but he sounds like he was a great guy!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My condolences to you for your Uncles passing.

As Anna said, taking action means doing something about it.
I think you already know what you need to do. Doing it is hard...this means changing everything. Changing your now habits and your thinking habits. Instead of grabbing a beer, grab the basketball.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please follow your late Uncle's example on how to live a non drinking life...and enjoy it too...he left you a positive role to fill. bless him.

Welcome to SR...
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WOW! I wonder if this is the oldest post ever to be "bumped" in the history of this forum?

Well, I know I have been trying to work on my drinking issues for a long time but seeing this post from over six years ago really is an eye opener on how fast time passes by when issues go unaddressed.

At any rate, my issues with drinking haven't gotten better... they have actually gotten a bit worse.

To be honest, I actually completely bottomed out emotionally due to a decision to move to a geographic area and started a new job that I found extremely undesirable. Between 2014 and 2017, I struggled so much emotionally that I increased the frequency of mass alcohol consumption to virtually every day.

I started focusing on making major improvements to my well being, health, and self improvement since I moved again and took a new job about nine months ago. Alcohol consumption has indeed decreased in amount and frequency, but it is still a significant problem.

I think the issue this whole time is that I was convinced that I didn't need to stop drinking entirely and could continue to "enjoy" drinking in moderate amounts. I have recently convinced myself that I can't turn back the clock and successfully return to moderate consumption.

With the help of a recovering alcoholic and good friend, I made a decision to try to stop drinking for 30 days at the beginning of April. I stopped for five days, attempted to drink in moderation during the weekend and during an early week business trip, and quickly found my consumption had resumed to prior levels IN LESS THAN TEN DAYS!!!

Quite the slippery slope, huh? Well, I am started the process again last Sunday, I met with and had a great discussion with my friend/mentor on Monday, and will be attending an AA meeting tonight. (I presume I just show up which is what I'll do since it is close by.)

Why the sudden enlightenment? Well, I am not a religious person or a person who believes in fate, but several fortunate events have occurred over the past couple weeks have put things in perspective.

1) The recent attempt to moderate consumption and the quick regression.
2) Talking to someone in recovery and not having this person make me feel shamed or embarrassed for relapsing... encouraged me to keep trying.
3) Hearing Russell Brand's perspective that a 10 step program can work for someone who is not religious. A "higher power" can also be an acknowledgement that I am not the center of the Universe and we are all interconnected by a power that is greater than myself.
4) Deciding to start watch the show "Love" on Netflix last weekend (ironically, the first Netflix show I have ever watched). I wanted to give a "light-hearted romantic comedy series" a try and, to my great surprise, found that "Love" is also about recovery. It has been remarkably enlightening in terms of portraying relationships and substance abuse.

... and onward I go... back to work, then working out, then a meeting, then a couple more episodes of my new favorite TV show (actually, my all time favorite... thanks Judd Apatow!)... then tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

"trying to work on my drinking issues" - why not just stop drinking?
Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great that you made it back in one piece. Hope you will stick around SR.....there is no shaming and lots of support for you here.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tried moderation? Like asking Father Christmas for a pet unicorn.

Nice to have you on board the sober bus. Buckle up and keep posting.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
Tried moderation? Like asking Father Christmas for a pet unicorn.

Nice to have you on board the sober bus. Buckle up and keep posting.
Ha! I just choked on my water!!
Old 04-26-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TeeJayVerm

D
Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back TeeJayVerm. I'm also one of those who wanted to moderate and though I tried - couldn't. I hope you stick around. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. .
Old 04-27-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back, TeeJay. Im really glad you're here. Moderation is impossible for me and most of us here, I strongly suspect. I have no 'off' switch and once I get going there's no telling what will happen except there is a guarantee of disaster. It was much easier and better just to quit completely. The phenomena of kindling where each successive attempt to quit drink becomes worse than the last is a real thing that I've unfortunately experienced, that slippery slope feeling you describe where bad things can happen very quickly.
Yep, just walk in the door at the meeting and you will be welcomed. While I don't use AA now it has been a great help to me in the past, especially in early recovery.
I hope you hang around and continue to post; SR has been vital in my getting and staying sober--Monday was 27 months for me.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Observing that AA meeting was eye opening! This particular one had a few people who are regulars who were at the very extreme end of the alcoholic horizon. A forum like this may be more efficient for me to meet people all along the spectrum at various stages.

Glad to hear I am the only one with an alcohol slope with wax on it!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, TeeJayVerm!

Very nice to meet you.

Moderation was impossible for me - I tried and failed miserably every single time.

I have discovered that sobriety truly rocks - who knew!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome back TeeJay! Yes most of us have grandiose thoughts about moderation until we are 3/4 through with our first drink and start wondering where the next one will come from, despite that promise we would only have one drink per hour. I am learning disabled and have gone that route too many times. That's why I gave it up.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have you ever formulated a rock solid plan for sobriety, TeeJayVerm? So many of us have found it to be a game-changer.

Have a look at this fantastic thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

According to your profile, you joined this website in June 2011.

That's 7 years ago. As of today, you have 6 posts. I think there is a clue there.

Go to an AA meeting today, and log onto this site everyday.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Have you ever formulated a rock solid plan for sobriety, TeeJayVerm? So many of us have found it to be a game-changer.
Thank you! I will indulge in this tomorrow! With the advise of a friend, I have created a chart to track all of my goals related to health, work, self-improvement, etc. This will help put more rigor around that.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Welcome back!

According to your profile, you joined this website in June 2011.

That's 7 years ago. As of today, you have 6 posts. I think there is a clue there.

Go to an AA meeting today, and log onto this site everyday.
That was the point of my recent follow up posts in this thread.... the original post was one of the clues that helped me gain my recent clarity.