Notices

Here I am...

Old 04-29-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Thanks everyone!

Observing that AA meeting was eye opening! This particular one had a few people who are regulars who were at the very extreme end of the alcoholic horizon. A forum like this may be more efficient for me to meet people all along the spectrum at various stages.

Glad to hear I am the only one with an alcohol slope with wax on it!
Well, it sounds like they've gone to the right place as well. If you decide to give it a bit more of a go and stick around there as well as getting to do some recovery work yourself, you may get to see those peoples transformation as well. Wouldn't that be great I've seen plenty of those transformations in just 4 years, and it gives me a lot of hope to carry round with me at the more tricky times.

Now I think back with more clarity,I can see that the real difference between me and those people who seemed to be 'at the more extreme end of the alcoholic horizon' was chance,luck, or just the grace of God. For some reason I got away with more. But when I came to sobriety I was living with sickening dread because I could feel my domino towers vibrationing as it threatened to tumble. Nowadays when I meet those folk who've list everything I treat it as an opportunity for gratitude, and look for the similarities rather than the differences.

I heard a lady share last night who'd been an extremely successful business woman, then one weekend things really hit the fan. In that one weekend she lost her business, her husband, her kid, her driving licence, and ended up in cells awaiting a court hearing thinking she was likely to go to prison... She didn't go to prison, but hit the skids then continued to drink awhile. It took her another year before she was ready to accept that alcohol was the problem. An amazing story, and one that would have been very painful to listen to a couple of decades ago, but now she can recount it with humour and the benefit of 25 years of sobriety and rebuilding her life so shes happy and content.

Also, its worth trying some different meetings. There will be others that have a slightly different vibe and mix of people.

Anyway. Glad you're back here and working on sobriety and recovery,

BB