Notices

Day four & a couple of questions

Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day four & a couple of questions

Hi again....I'm on day 4 of being sober and I am CONSTANTLY thinking of drinking. I get a rush of pride when I tell myself that I will not drink today,then the very next second, I am plotting to get away from my hubby to go get beer...what a horrible cycle. From what I gather, this will get easier to deal with right? Which leads me to the first question....why am I not having PHYSICAL withdrawl symptoms? I drank alot...ALOT ( at least 12-30 beers followed by 1-2 bottles of vodka a day for the past 2 yrs.) and I have had only a slight headache and a bit sleepy! Are the withdrawls coming or am I just lucky? I know I should be happy, but I am TERRIFIED of the really bad symptoms. I'm weird I know, but looking for some reasoning...
Another stupid question...my husband suggested getting some NA beer to "help" me get over the hump of the mental withdrawls. The idea sounded super to me, but wanted some input before I let him bring it home. Has anyone else tried this and did it help??
Thanks in advance!
missducky
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a couple threads on the NA beer. If I were you I wouldn't -only because then you aren't changing your habits. You are just supplementing your habit with something else. Part of recovery is changing your thinking away from the thought of drinking not encouraging your brain to think its still ok.
Some folks do ok with NA beer...some don't. I wouldn't. But that's me.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Miss Ducky!

Nice work on day four!!! I'm not so sure about the withdrawl symptoms, everyone is different. If you are scared , go see a Doctor. At the very least to put your mind at ease, you've got enough to worry about.

I personally would not do n/a beer. Would just trigger me to get a real one.

hugs!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you continue to feel good, but please talk to your dr if you have any concerns.

NA beer is not something I would drink. For one thing, it has alcohol in it, and for another, it's all about the routine - opening the bottle, the glass, etc. Changing your habits is the best way to stay in recovery.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Last night, the evening of day 5, I was on the computer and it dawned on me i hadnt thought of alcohol for the night... which is awesome for me... but this evening it was back for a while.. I just accept thats how its going to be for a while...

The NA beer.. na not for me... Like Mis Ducky says..its still the same ritual tied in drinking alcohol...and would lead me to slide back...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will stop the constant negotiating--hopefully soon. But I think you are lucky on the withdrawal symptoms and you should just thank your lucky stars.

I've asked about NA on here before. I think it's really interesting. I'm currently on Day 12 after about six relapses since starting here. During the first couple attempts I did drink NA beer. Is it related to those failures? I don't know. Did I have one when we went out for the first time this round last night? No.

Avoid it. Diet Pepsi is just fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Usually withdrawal symptoms occur in the first days of sobriety, but if you feel bad you should visit the doctor.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

So far a with the withdrawls I guess your pretty lucky, but as peaople say everyone is differnt. But at least all the metabolites are out of you

I myself am on day 12 as Missy(congrats Missy), and I would not do the NA beer thing either. Just like some said it is the routine ah man the can or bottle and the pouring in the glass, uh boy its tough as it is.

Take care of yourself and be proud everyday if you stay away from that drink

Peace, Dylan
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Well Done on Day 4...be proud of yourself ..and keep feeling that rush of pride when you say just for today, because soon it will only be the pride you feel. The constant thinking of drinking does fade, I promise.

I personally would avoid the NA beer, as other have said, it is just replacing the habit. I needed to change everything surrounding my drinking habit to remain sober.

Chamomile tea and sparkling mineral water work for me now.