Notices

Day Ten

Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Ten

Well, I've made double digits. I'm very pleased--as is my therapist.

I am pleased to be so involved in my life because I'm sober. I'm pleased at the level of relaxation it affords me.

I will add, in to emphasize my achievement, that I have managed to sustain sobriety despite the fact that my sister's daughter is apparently blaming her divorce on my immediate family. She and her husband moved up here, and she is saying that even though she refused ALL invitations this winter, we didn't welcome her so she had to divorce her husband.

Can you fathom the pressure of that? Honest, she did refuse all invitations. She never wanted to move here and had actually never lived alone with her husband before, but he got a good job up here and she probably was never here four weeks in a row. But it's our fault.

We have been cut off--permanently. I cannot think of a better reason to get smashed--though I haven't.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Congratulations on double digits, Missy. All I can say about your niece is that irrational thought patterns aren't limited to alcoholics.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days Missy!! I am learning that I need to focus on myself instead of allowing myself to rationalize that it is okay to get drunk because of actions of others. Not an easy feat but I am learning. I one day hope that I will be healthy enough to repair some of the severely damaged relationships in my life.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Ten days and counting! Awesome job. I am proud of you.

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
...she is saying that even though she refused ALL invitations this winter, we didn't welcome her so she had to divorce her husband.
Ya know, that reminds me of the time I ate mashed potatoes and then my sister's cat died.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go Missy. I have to remember that the actions of others are not a reason to drink.
The Serenity Prayer ?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I drank I thought I created problems...I thought my way of thinking was absurd and I was the butt of every problem, situation and scenario of anything negative.
But now? Looking back...I've come to realize that other people have problems, too and there's ALOT more people that should take advantage of counseling and spiritual healing and finding where their heart lies. Now that my head is clear...sometimes I wonder how people can think what they think.
But I am me and they are them and they have no influence over even an inkling of a millithought of drinking for me.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ranger--you are so very funny. I really, really appreciate your use of the logical fallacy post hoc ergo propter hoc. I hadn't put it together, but it's so very there.

Emerald--pretty new avatar. I am so hurt by this, and so stunned, but I have to add that my sister, this neice's mother, is a Jungian therapist. That makes it even worse. Really? Their first few months together they should have stayed in bed--but I have a daughter her age and I gave both couples $100 gift certificates to a nice Portland restaurant and offered to babysit my daughter's kids to help them become a pair of couples. But the neice kept declining appointments. We are just scapegoats.

And I haven't really gotten too close to failing because of this, but I can sure see the pattern. This is so hurtful.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
This is so hurtful.
This is classic resentment, Missy7. Experience in AA has shown that resentments, whether real or imagined, have the power to kill. It's one of the very few places in the Big Book that death threats are used to make a point.

It makes me wonder, "Do these resentments have anything to do with whether or not I'll stay sober? Do I need a way of getting rid of these resentments."

I found, just like the founders of AA did, that I couldn't simply wish these resentments away, not could I pretend they didn't matter. They had to be brought into the light.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Ten days and counting! Awesome job. I am proud of you.

Ya know, that reminds me of the time I ate mashed potatoes and then my sister's cat died.
or maybe she just can't bring herself to sing Karioke with your husband?

I'm with Ranger on this one.....and you can have hurt feelings at an unjust accusation, you don't have to be a doormat. whatever her blathering, it's on her, not you...she is probably not feeling very rational at this point. ignore her and protect your sobriety.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keith--it's too new for me to resent it. But obviously they resent me. I'm just reeling from this. We were only able to confirm the divorce being filed yesterday. No one in their side of the family has contacted us except the neice write an email to my daughter saying she would not talk to her about it. She signed it, "have a nice life."

So if she won't talk about it, how can we bring it into the light?

And, BTW, I only mention it because I'm proud I haven't given into the dramatic pain it causes me. I'm not threatening to drink because of it. I'll be fine this time. I'm going two weeks if it kills me. Then onward from there.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh Fandy, this one would never go into a place that does Karaoke. She is a minor heiress. She is lovely and wears white at all times. Her world is just too beautiful for ours.

But I never would have left that new husband. He adores her and leased her a gorgeous apartment in a high rise in Portland. I could have sat there overlooking the park blocks and ignored anything a fully employed young man who adored me could dish out .
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 10 Missy!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you can be lovely and wear white, but on the inside???? everyone has to go through what they consider to be "unbearable"....real life or minor heiress....something is not right and she felt the need to divorce her husband, looking for excuses...She may just be using you as an excuse for some deeper reason that she does not want to come to light....(an affair with the landscaper? running off with the pool-boy)?

a lot of times people need a "scapegoat"...and don't care who they hurt in the process.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Missy - congrats on Day 10! I've followed your posts since joining early this month and am very proud of your accomplishment.

Families...blah. I'm sorry your niece is being nasty - she's so NOT WORTH your accomplishments. At the end of the day - you know in your heart you have done right by her. After that, she's not worth any more thought. (Believe me, I have to practice what I preach. I believe half of my issues come from other people and my interpretations/perceptions).

Let's keep moving forward!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Missy

I hope you will be a sober scapegoat.

A drunk scapegoat can get morose
Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 10 days Missy
Good for you for staying focused, too.

D
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah for you Missy!

Family drama. I has it. I sympathize. I wish the woman-in-white a nice life too. Makes me think of Fitzgerald....The Beautiful and the Damned, in fact.

I like bratnik's thought....let's keep moving forward!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Missy congragulations on 10 days sober! I bet you have had a bit of a rollercoaster over tose days! Congragulations on staying sober through tough times in those 10 days aswell. This is just the begining though and there may be many more awkward situations that you will have to find ways to deal with. I have only been sober for 9 weeks and these situations are already a lot easier!

Cairns
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Missi