Notices

no time for AA... what is a boy to do?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

no time for AA... what is a boy to do?

I had my first AA meeting last Friday. I enjoyed it. The fact is, however, I'm a single father, with not many people to watch my son. I have no family nearby, and only a few friends that I can ask. If I ask them too much, I'll become a burden.

In other words, I don't have the TIME to go to meetings, and bringing my son isn't an option.

I'm considering trying a lunch meeting by my work. Does anyone have feedback on those?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lunch meetings where I am are the most attended just for the reason you posted here. No reason not to check one out.....
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would think that lunchtime meetings are like any other, and that you might have to shop around a bit, so to speak, to find ones you are most comfortable with. I am kind of in the same boat -- I'm not single, but my husband is in poor health (heart problems) and I cannot always guarantee he'll be well enough to take care of our 3 daughters when I need to get to a meeting, and I don't have a wealth of babysitters on hand either.

And congratulations on getting to your first meeting!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Jose, I usually attend a meeting on my lunch break and if anything, there's usually more people there at that time than at the 6:30 a.m. or 6 p.m. meeting at my home group. It's just more convenient for me and I don't have to take time away from my family. But something to keep in mind: Even if I did have to take time away from my family, or inconvenience friends/family, I would, because my sobriety has to come first...otherwise, I'm no good to anyone, including my kids. With that in mind, please do your best to MAKE time to go to meetings (or do anything else that's helpful to your sobriety).

--Fenris.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodbyeJose View Post
I had my first AA meeting last Friday. I enjoyed it. The fact is, however, I'm a single father, with not many people to watch my son. I have no family nearby, and only a few friends that I can ask. If I ask them too much, I'll become a burden.

In other words, I don't have the TIME to go to meetings, and bringing my son isn't an option.

I'm considering trying a lunch meeting by my work. Does anyone have feedback on those?
I'm sure if you tell your friends why they are watching your son they will have no problem as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Double post - delete. Why does this keep happening? :-)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
There is always

AAOnline.net -- Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet

and

Lamplighters AA International -- The oldest and largest of the email-based AA groups
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJK

most of the meetings i attend allow children.. theres even a couple of who offer daycare- someone usually volunteers to watch the kids during that time.. and trust me, where i live is not the most progressive place in the world, for recovery or anything else for that matter.. good luck, hope youre able to make more meetings..
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JJK

^ not letting me edit.. but i fully understand your concern about not wanting to bring your son a long.. i dont think id feel comfertable with ANY of my family in the rooms with me..