Notices

what i've learned here so far

Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what i've learned here so far

1. there is hope!
2. have a plan: one of the reasons i would be drinking (and failing my sobriety) in the past was because i went with the flow, i never seriously planned to *not* drink. now i get up each day and think about what i need to do today to make sure i don't drink. this is especially true for the weekends. fill my days with activities, which would prevent my drinking urges.
3. gather some tools: that was a new one for me, for sure. i grasped the concept by reading many great posts. i think the tools to stay sober will vary from person to person, but they are like weapons against alcohol... the more you posses the more likely you are to win. (examples: go to meetings, work out, avoid situations where drinking is too easy, have a box-full of excuses for your friends... my favorite is: "i have to go to work out", nobody every judged me for that and for all people it just makes sense, replace the thoughts of having a drink with memories of having your last relapse... replay that over and over in my head, until the urge is gone).
4. get support: for me SR has been amazing. posting, expressing feelings, listening to others really helps. this is my virtual AA. i've never had this kind of influence in my life, that's why i failed so many times... for sure. the best support i got in the past was my friends saying: "take a break, you'll be fine". and that seemed very rational. but each break lead to more drinking once the "break" was over (from 3 days to a few weeks on rare occasions).
5. get help: speak with your doctor, go to rehab, consider detox, therapy, whatever. there is help out there and even though it is more costly (although there are free options as well), it's very hard to buy back life and health. there is really no price tag for that. there is a fear of possibility of losing a job, not having money, etc. i was in place where i required help because if i didn't get it, i would've lost my job, money and possibly my life. weight your priorities carefully.
6. don't be afraid: my biggest fear has always been thinking: "how am i going to live without alcohol?". i was thinking as far ahead as vacations, winter holidays, etc. that is just plain stupid. as the saying goes "worry about it, when it's time to worry about it". right now i focus on not drinking today and i set non-drinking, positive goals for the future.
7. consider your health: i am not a doctor, but i can guarantee you that people with a drinking problem are causing serious damage to their mind and body. i am a prime example of this. i let myself slide so far, that besides recovering from alcohol i need to recover my physical and mental condition. (i am amazed i didn't suffer permanent liver damage, but i wasn't too far away).

well 7 is a "lucky" number so i'll stop here. these things and rules keep me going so far, would love to hear other people's rules and tools to add to my collection
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cheers Serious,

For me, one of the most important things I have learnt at AA is

'the first drink gets you drunk'

I am telling myself that each day. It combats the idea that I can one day drink normally, whatever normal is.

Chimp!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Thanks serious...those are all very good things to keep in mind. I hadn't really thought about having some excuses or explanations ready to give other people for why I'm not drinking (other than "Nope, can't do it, 'cause I'm a drunk"). So thanks for pointing that out.

--Fenris.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff Serious! I really enjoyed reading that and agree with you 100%!