Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting to this – drinking has been a problem for me for some time now – just hit rock bottom the other night and need to stop for good – I am almost 32 and have been drinking heavily for 16 years. For the last 10 years I have been drinking about 6-12 (or more) drinks per night for about 4 days out of the week – just recently I have been drinking straight jack daniels by myself in my bathroom to hide it from my wife. I just had a baby girl and this has got to stop. I got drunk on Sunday at home (loaded actually) and had a mental breakdown and told my wife everything. I was drinking so heavily after work that I would delay going home until I had at least some sort of buzz. It was a lot for her to take but she is sticking by me and is the strongest person I know. Just telling her the truth made me feel 100x better. I then told her where all my stashes of booze were around the house. It amazes me that depth that I had sunk to in the last 2 years. It was pathetic. Anyway, I actually feel good today – still having the sweats and have high anxiety at night but looking forward to it passing. I just am so happy that I am still alive and that I am being given a second chance on life. It is not fair for me to not try and quit for my daughter. She deserves a good father. I know this is going to be very hard b/c everything I do revolves around drinking and hanging out with friends. For some reason I feel like this is the time though and there are only so many chances people get. I will beat this thing.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Luck! All the best, you can do it
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

everything I do revolves around drinking and hanging out with friends.

You've just been given a great gift with the birth of a child. It will be easier to stay sober if you start hanging around your wife and daughter and become a "family man." Then twenty years from now when you reflect back upon this time in your life you won't regret missing your daughter's childhood.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mac. Isn't it crazy the things we do to "hide" our drinking. I would put a bottle under the sink in our bathroom when company would come over, and go in there and do a shot. I would put them in the laundry room cabinet, and step in there and act like I was grabbing a cleaner and would nab a shot in there. I'd hide it under the seat of my car and go out there to grab my sunglasses and have a shot. Then when the bottle would be empty, I would wrap it anything to disguise it so my husband wouldn't see it when he took out the trash. I would even tear open a disposed of vacuum cleaner bag and toss it in there. My husband drinks beer every day, and I haven't told him about my new journey yet...but that will be when I hit day 7. But, I hope he joins me in the journey.

So, you are not alone. And we are all here for you.

I do not have children, but I know if I did, that would be priority is being a sober parent. You can do this. Keep reading every one's posts. They will make you laugh, they will make you cry, and they will make you realize that we're all fighting this battle together. If only our world leaders could tackle headaches as well as we all do on this website. Beauty of it is we are from all over the world as you can see. It's really inspiring!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome Mac. You've come to a good place. My kids definitely helped motivate me to get sober and stay sober, so I understand where you're coming from. Congratulations on making the right choice.

--Fenris.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Editor

Welcome Mac....This new Journey is not easy at all, but so worth it. I only wish you the best. It is going to be like a roller coaster ride for a while. You will have good times and bad. Do your best and never give up. I have only been around SR for about 3 or 4 months, but it feels like a lifetime. Be true to yourself and put one foot in front of the other every minute of every day. I live my life just as I sign off every post and it seems to be working for me so far. Find your sober self again and start to live. Best of luck!
Day by Day
Dave
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice to meet u Mac.. I got sober for my family..it got me in the door of AA.. Listening for what I had in common with those people.... and doing what they were doing till I finally 'got it' I then was able to work it for me...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jump on board with us Mac. I too have small children 2 and 3 and you want to be the best parent you absolutely can. Its hard and its a frustrating job. But stick with it. Your daughter will thank you one day for being the great father that you will be! Keep checking in - you will need to do so quite a bit during this time. But we are all here for you.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Mac, your story sounds very very familiar to me. I have 3 children and I can tell you that they definitely were an inspiration in my getting the drinking under control, but it wasn't until I decided to do it for myself that it really took. As for everything revolving around friends and drinking, I had the same problem and I just found new friends and new hobbies. Funny thing I feel a heck of a lot better the next morning now when I see my friends. Welcome to SR. You have found a great place for support and remember to post. We all need you as much as you will need us.

Chris
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mac

D
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MAC. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome...

All my best as the 3 of you head into a wonderful future together....
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bri

Welcome! I can kinda relate to this man's story in that I also am 32 and had my first child, she's 6 months old now. I drank pretty much every day for at least 10 years. I was actually able to get and stay married doing it for 3! LOL sorry, no lie. But when my child was born I decided to start taking nights off, and even keeping it to the weekends. Problem was when I did that I was just getting completely smashed to the point it has caused me some legal trouble. I am now in court ordered outpatient alcohol treatment which does help somewhat, but I do want to check out AA. I have been sober for about 4 months now and I feel good but still struggle with it a bit at times. Hence why I am here. Don't let the drinkin get ya in trouble with the law man. I'm lucky God has blessed me in that it has not effected my relationship with my child. I am using the opportunity to get sober to not only be the best person I can be for myself but the best daddy for her. Welcome to SR hope you find the information and feelings here helpful!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Mac I am glad you are here. I was an active alcoholic through out my childrens' growing up. It has left both of them with problems in their adulthoods. It is not without harm to them. I truly thought differently at the time and I was sorely wrong! I continued to drink into the 3 year of my grandsons life. I am now in recovery and hope that I can be present for him. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on both your decision and your baby!