Notices

Beat

Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beat

Feel like I have hit my rock bottom. Sporting yet another cracking hangover today :-(.

I need to post because I need the support. I cannot do this on my own. Today is day one.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

I was where you are 44 days ago. Life is much better sober. It rough for a while when you stop, but keeping on drinking was no picnic either.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Almay

I dunno about anyone else, but I needed to be beat - because every time I thought there was a glimmer of hope that alcohol and I could co-exist, I'd be back on the same old crazy train again...I really needed to accept, fully, that I couldn't go on living my life as it was.

Please think about all the avenues of support open to you - recovery groups, Dr, counselling, rehab...and consider them all. I really think if we want to get sober and stay that way, we need to make recovery our #1 priority and not let anything else stand in our way....nothing.

It's really good to have you back Please think about seeing a Dr as a first port of call, tho.

It's always a good idea after a period of heavy regular drinking.

take care Almay
D
Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with instant, life is much better sober.

Considering yourself to be beat is actually a great place to be. In my case I had to consider myself beaten before I could acheive any lasting sobriety.

What are you going to do differently this time around?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

drinking like we do/did takes so much energy...

did deep, let this hangover be the last.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im so glad to be back. Thank you all so much for your messages of support - feel quite emotional now :-)
I havent got a clue where I am going to start or how I am going to do this...I feel so ill today I am just going to concentrate on getting through today. Then hopefully tomorrow I will be able to put a plan together of a way to beat this. I really am rock bottom now. I cannot and do not want to live like this for another second.
Thanks again for the support!!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

II did the same Almay..just focused on that day one...nursing my body through it ..lots of fluids..and rest..even if it wasnt sleep but lying on the lounge..tried to get rid of the shoulds..I should be up doing something..had to break it down to 'just get through this hour'

hang in there and sending you positive vibes
Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome back Almay!

I hope it's clicked for you now. Really 'getting' that alcohol would never be an option for me again and that eliminating it from my life was a big 'win' was a big turning point.

Remember, normal people can take or leave alcohol. It's not nearly as important as your sick brain tells you it is.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Almay. You and me both. Please don't despair, you're not alone.x
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Also, can you articulate why you keep drinking?

I kept drinking because:

I wanted one more day/week of 'easy' life
I had a hangover and couldn't face it without alcohol
I had a trip coming up where I wanted to 'enjoy' it
I didn't to 'publicly' quit in case I regretted it. How could I go back?
I didn't want my husband to know I was an alcoholic (HA!)
I was afraid I was overacting
I was afraid I would have to go to AA and I didn't want to become an 'AA person'
I didn't want to be left out in social situations.
I didn't want life to be boring. What would I have to look forward to at night?

I didn't want to be an alcoholic.

You know what I didn't realize though? As a SOBER alcoholic I am the closest I've ever been to a normal person.

Anyway it was a helpful exercise for me. To out out the BS and figure out exactly why I wasn't giving recovery my all.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I havent got a clue where I am going to start or how I am going to do this

There is a solution, why not try AA?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey guys, useless....drank last night. Only reason being I felt too hungover to face it without a drink :-(. Still on day one....dont feel quite as bad today and hoping to make tomorrow day 2. Finally realised I need more then just myself to do this. Going to the doctors tonight to fess up and see if I can get help with the withdrawals!!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ETA

Just so you know - the "hair of the dog" hangover cure is a myth. You aren't actually curing any symptoms by drinking.

Hair of the Dog - Contrary to popular belief, more of the "hair of the dog that bit you" only delays the inevitable. One of the reasons hangovers are so unpleasant is the liver is still processing the toxins left over from alcohol metabolism. Drinking more alcohol can make the symptoms seem to lessen at first but will only make the situation worse once the liver breaks the alcohol down, because it will have even more toxins to deal with.
Discovery Health "How Hangovers Work"
Interventions for preventing or treating alcohol hangover: systematic review of randomised controlled trials -- Pittler et al. 331 (7531): 1515 -- bmj.com
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Hey guys, useless....drank last night. Only reason being I felt too hungover to face it without a drink :-(. Still on day one....dont feel quite as bad today and hoping to make tomorrow day 2. Finally realised I need more then just myself to do this. Going to the doctors tonight to fess up and see if I can get help with the withdrawals!!
excellent!

I don't really recommend this but when I quit I couldn't face my hangover, either. I had 3 glasses of wine that night and then the next day was in better shape to face a sober night. That was 10 months ago.

Talking to the doctor is a wiser plan though. I do think antidepressant medication could really help you, too.