Notices

new to this forum, early in sobriety

Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this forum, early in sobriety

hey just wanted to introduce myself (anonymously haha) and share a bit about why i made an account...im a young person (not yet legal to drink here in the states) but iv come to terms with the fact that im an alcoholic and an addict. Went to my first meeting overseas in europe (easy to realize your an alcoholic when u can sneak out of your class and go get hammered every night u want)...30 days sober today from alcohol and its been great the steps have helped me so much nto just in getting sober but also in changing my personality and happiness. i was violenty anti religion but after some great step 2 meetings and having a great sponsor i really got the whole higher power concept. such a relief to not put so much pressure on myself

all that being said i am also a very bad benzo addict. never prescribed any except for sleep but got to the point where little 140 pound me was taking 5 or 6 xanax bars at a time and forgetting days and weeks at a time..obv when cmobined with alcohol this is ********

relapsed twice so far in my xanax recovery and its been the biggest struggle for me whenever i visit my hometown and my friends from back home who are all users (normally i am in diff town in college where its easier to stay away from benzos) ....anyway im thankful to be sober from benzos for 2 weeks at least and thankful for the fellowship. Great to be amongst fellow addicts who understand our constant obsession. look forward to adding to discussion and more importantly listening to the people who are the "old timers"

fwiw my biggest fear is that my bottom wasnt small enough...i have never had a dui or mip or any of that, not court ordered just know i will end up in jail or dead if i keep this up
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-25-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ETA

Good for you! I wasn't near a self-aware or mature when I was your age. If I had been then maybe I wouldn't have wasted a fair part of 20 years making a mess of things!

I have the same fear of not quite hitting rock bottom - no DUI yet for me - but almost bottom was pretty damn ugly and scary so I'm optimistic that I won't have to take it any farther.

Be strong and be proud of yourself!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi thekid

To me a bottoms not an event - although events may be involved - it's more the moment we decide we've had enough.

For me it was the moment I decided I couldn't live my old life one more minute.

As long as you're prepared to make the changes you need to and to the do the work required to stay clean and sober - and as long as you keep reaching out for all the support you need - I think you'll be just fine.

I wish I'd been so self aware at your age - congratulations on your 30 days

Welcome to SR
D
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome thekid.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi welcome to our family.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)