Notices

Hello, new guy here and I need help.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, new guy here and I need help.

Hi everyone, I recently noticed that I developed a rage problem when I drink and it has scared me bad. I never use to get like this but over the last couple of months it has gotten worse, and on fathers day is when I noticed I had a problem.

i got into an argument with my girlfriend, now ex-girlfriend, while texting her. The argument calmed down some by the time she got home from work, but started to become a big fight fast. But to the point, what had scared me and her so bad is that I had grabbed my gun and headed for the door and told her I was going to go kill some cops. It was at that point I had realized what I said and realized I was holding my gun. I immediately dropped my gun. I don't remember grabbing my gun at all. This has scared me so bad that I am not going to drink anymore. I'm to scared to drink.

I don't know if there is some sort of imbalance in my body that has made alcohol turn me into a rage inside or what. Like I said I use to be a happy drunk when I drank and nothing could make me mad.

My 1st step was realizing the problem, my next step was to stop drinking and the next step I am taking is selling my guns. After that is where I need help.

Where do I go from here? Do I see a doctor 1st to run some test? Who can I talk to professionally? My ex-girlfriend says if there is a problem with me that turns alcohol to rage, then we can talk about getting back together.

I want to get rid of this problem for good but need to know who I can go see for help. Anything yall can help me with is appreciated.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MarlboroMan
Welcome

I think seeing a Dr is always a good idea - he can advise you about detox, for a start - and he may have some suggestions about the anger issues too.

Have you thought of a counsellor, for example? It may be that the problem may just be alcohol, but there may be other factors involved too...it may be good to get to the bottom of that.

You'll find a lot of support here for staying sober too - there's lots of methods ideas and suggestions around

D
Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ETA

Woah! I bet that was terrifying!

Are there any other signs when you're not drunk like depression or mood swings?

Has anything changed in your body chemistry like now you are taking medicine daily for something else?

I imagine going to regular doctor and getting some blood tests plus a psychiatrist or psychologist who can talk to you about the behavoiral/emotional aspects.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea, alcohol and guns are a bad combination.

So glad you dropped that gun... Now, go lock up those things, and lock up the ammo seperately... or better yet, give them to someone you trust to hold onto ... and go get recovered...

AA is a great place to start and the meetings are easy to find.... I'll bet you'll find someone who knows exactly what you are talking about.

Welcome to SR
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No I'm perfectly fine sober, I'm not on any kind of daily meds. Rather than just give my guns to someone to hold, I'm just gonna sell them. I think there are other factors cause I didn't use to be like this. As far as the urge to drink again......No effen way!!!! Your right it was scary.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had also some problems with anger and rage. I used to be a very very pacific person. I was also a happy-non problematic drunk. But over time, we alcoholics get worse and begin to have these kind of problems. I eventually became involved in some fightings in bars. It was due to alcohol. I never had a fighting until I was in an advanced stage of alcoholism.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well strike now, while the memory of this event still terrifies you... get them out of your house, now... Then once you are on solid footing, go out and sell them, or whatever... maybe you can get a good friend or family member to hold on to them, you don't have to say why...

Memory of our last misadventure is often not enough to insure long term sobriety...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR MarlboroMan76, glad you found us.

Yes excessive alcohol consumption can cause a person to do totally unpredictable stuff...It happen to me. Was a mellow drunk for decades then all of a sudden a raging madman...for me drugs had a part in that seriousness.

Posting, replying, reading and joining in on discussions here at SR will be a good additional to the good plan of change you have so far.

You might want to also look into AA and SMART Recovery literature to get a good idea of recovery resources that can help.

Here is AA and SMART Tools & Articles literature.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thats good advice mark75, as for a doctor? a regular doctor would be a good start?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankfully, I dont do any drugs, I haven't touched any in about 5 years or so. I really don't drink large amounts of alcohol, I get the rage feeling after about 8 shots over a few hours of time.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have a family doctor that you know, and have a good relationship with, that may be a good place to start.

Depending on the size of the city you live in or near, there may be docs who specialize...

Another good reason to check out AA... there will be people there who may know....
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will definatly look in to AA, Dont have a family doctor, I cant remember the last time I seen a doctor.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JJK

try aa, man.. and im sorry, but, "I had grabbed my gun and headed for the door and told her I was going to go kill some cops.".. amazing.. sounds like we would have maybe drank togather.. i know its early in the game now, but once you get some time youll be able to laugh at this sort of ****..
Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The worst part of my situation...... my now ex-girlfriends whole family is in law enforcement and she is a dispatcher, so I screwed up big time and want and need to fix this.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea, it gets better (worse)...

We are glad you are here!! If you get those guns out of your house, you may save yourself a lot of misery, legally speaking... so... who you gonna call

But really, this is about you getting recovered, not out of a jam, and you know that, I'm sure...

Keep posting!!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JJK

ouch.. you gotta look out for number 1st right now tho, man.. everything else will eventually fall into place the way it needs to..
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yes I want the recovery 1st, getting out of the jam is 2nd. she didn't report me or anything like that, so I'm in no legal trouble.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good...