Notices

Hi Im new in here

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Im new in here

Hello

I am a 21 year old addict and recently joined an anonymous group for my DOC. I have a few days sober and a deep anger is building up in me.
I am a person who usually gets along well with everybody, im just angry at my parents and a few people I've know for a long time.
The only reason I dindnt kill my parents already is because Im affraid to go to jail.
I plan to share this with my group today but is not gonna be easy.

Thanks for reading
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andre

welcome

I think emotions run high for all of us when we first quit. I can remember being full of rage too - I'd self medicated all emotion away for a long time.

Try to remember you're healing right now - and while others may not understand that - it's not really their fault.

Please do reach out and speak to your group - & don't be afraid to seek help right away if you feel out of control.

D
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Andre - congratulations on your sober time. You'll get lots of support here and we have a section on substance abuse you may want to visit:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

A lot of emotions can surface when we stop drinking/using, anger being one of them. On the other hand, getting sober can really help us think more clearly and calmly so that we can learn to deal with emotions in a new way.

Not knowing what's behind your feelings toward your parents, I hesitate to comment, but it sounds like you have some serious issues to address. Have you ever considered counseling?

Glad you're here!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Andre))) - Welcome to SR!

When I first began recovery, I was angry for quite a while, for lots of reasons: I was definitely, an addict..no going back, no getting a buzz on when I felt like it; I had ruined a very nice nursing career; family was angry and disappointed in me, and THAT didn't feel good; had legal issues hanging over my head (not to mention other consequences), and I wanted to USE, dammit, and couldn't do it.

It took time, but the anger and irritability do go away. I felt like I said "how could you have been so STUPID?!?!" for quite a while.

I'm glad you're going to group, and I think you'll find SR a great source of help. No matter what has going on in their life, there's always been someone who "got me", let me vent, offered suggestions and ES&H (experience strength and hope).

I don't know how long you've been using, or what your DOc is, but though recovery works, if you want it bad enough it takes time, and you have to deal with all those emotions/feelings you've been numbing out. I've also found that despite what DOC a person has, I find many similarities in our stores, so I am usally all over the different forum herel

Our brains produce "feel good" chemicals. When we start using, it's like the brain says "yippee, I'm not needed, vacation time!!" and the dope gives us teh feel-good chemicals). When we stop, the brain realizes it can no loner be on vacation and it usually takes a couple of weeks before the brain starts doing it's job.

Exercise boosts the feel good stuff, plus lt fives you a way o release the tension and anxiety.

We A's (addicts) are used to instant gratification, and this is one tie that's just not gonna ha[[em

The GOOD news is, our brains do recover, and we re0learn how to feel good again. Even when things get rough, we're getter equipped to handle it.

The bad feelings you are going trough are temporary and you'll never have to go trough this again.

Keep reading and posting. It's always nice to know you're not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR AndreTT.

Exactly...new found sobriety was emotional for me too. I had some serious plans to get back at those I thought caused me harm. Later as my mind cleared up from drugs,..I realized the only one causing harm to me,...was me.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Andre
I try to think of it as a strange new experience where I will constantly be challenged and surprised. Over the last few years at time I used to start crying uncontrollably when I was drinking- it's just part of the deal, when we stop I suppose the same things happen in reverse !!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the feedback

Perharps I exaggerated a bit in my initial post. Im angry almost all the time but it's only a few times (a day) that it peaks and I feel capable of doing horrible things.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Andre did you go to group and discuss this? Hey I am a laid back guy but my first week sober I was pretty up and down and flaky. While you said you exaggerated earlier, you do need to talk that out with your group and get a grip on your anger issues with help. In the meantime know we all had issues we got through by not acting on strong emotions and riding them out until we had enough sobriety to deal with them more moderately.
Best of luck and do let us know how it went in group .