Notices

What affects of binge drinking are irreversible?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What affects of binge drinking are irreversible?

Hi SR. I'm back again. Hopefully this time for good. I was fooling myself by thinking I could quit for just a little while. In the several months since I first posted, I went from drinking about every other day to nearly every day. A lot of drinking. Like, an entire bottle of wine followed by a couple of shots of whatever was around the house kind of drinking.

I can't do it anymore. I'm killing myself.

Anyway, I've been doing some research on the effects of my extreme binge drinking and the harm I'm doing to my body. I'm pretty familiar with the types of damage, but I'm not sure what is reversible. For example, I understand that if I've developed a fatty liver, that that could be repaired to a degree after I stop but full blown cirrhosis is not going to get better--it just won't get worse.

Is the damage I've done to my heart, circulatory system and brain repairable? Aside from stopping drinking, is there anything that might help? (Of course I will be eating right and begin an exercise routine, but are there specific foods, supplements and types of exercise that can help repair damage from years of binge drinking?)

Thanks in advance for reading and responding. I hope I will be able to join this community and give back as much as I'll probably be taking in these next few days and weeks of starting a new life.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

We can't give any kind of medical advice here, so you need to talk to your dr about those questions.

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you are heading into a non drinking future...

Before buying supplements....or jumping into any extreme ideas about what you may or may not have done with your drinking....

please have an honest talk with your doctor so proper test can be done. and many conditions do improve You wil need a base line
in order to get the correct direction for you to follow.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oops! Thanks for the reminder about SR not being a place to offer medical advice. Completely spaced on that one.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

PP - welcome back!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back and as others have said you need to get medical advice. I'm curious, how do you know that you actually have all these physical ailments?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back pocketpanda

D
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As said, only your doctor can really tell you and treat you, it's recommended to follow their advice.

But engaging in support and a recovery plan can make a big difference. I was mainly worried about the mental health side of things when I quit, as I was such a mess. (Granted, I had some of those issues before drinking too.) As long as I follow treatment though and stay hooked in recovery, I'm okay. I think it's important to look after all sides of recovery, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual - they can all have a bearing on each other. But the priority - medical advice.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zebra, I'm just assuming I've damaged my body, I don't know for certain. I'm heading in for blood work on Monday and then have an appointment with my doctor in three weeks to talk about numbers. (I've had some curious neurologic symptoms that have come and gone over the years that started before I began binge drinking. Whatever it is, I've probably made them worse with the excessive alcohol.)

Thanks for welcoming me back. This time has to be for good.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suggest you see a neurologist/addiction psychiatrist. When I was getting treatment from mine, he explained everything in great detail, including how long it takes for long term binging effects to go away. The brain works in amazing ways, and you should consult with someone who can help treat you the way that is best for you.