Notices

I'm sober and scared bout my job!!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
klg

I'm sober and scared bout my job!!

I had over 3 years sober then thought I would see if I could drink some without messing up, but I made some bad decissions this past weekend or poor judgements, and even though it was not at work and had nothing to do with my work, someone told my boss and now I'm SCARED TO DEATH THAT I will get fired from it,, I have a great job that I need to support my kids...

I don't see how they can fire me for something that didn't even involve work but I guess they can do whatever they want to do. I've been at work all week but my boss broght me in his office and informed me he knew what had happened this past weekend and for me to start going back to my AA meetings and my councelor. I told him I already started going back.. and was taking steps to curtail the problem before it got worse,

but something just keeps bothering me that I MAY GET FIRED.

PLEASE PLEASE GOD DONT LET ME LOOSE MY JOB.. there is nothing else i will be able to do to support my family,,
Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for sharing your anxiety here. I can certainly relate to the fear of losing a job because of alcohol. In fact, it very nearly happened to me 65 days ago. My boss gave me a final warning and for me that was the motivation I needed to go back to AA and work the programme properly. I am glad I did as I have remained sober since. That's by attending AA every day, finding a sponsor, reading, praying, studying and sharing.

You may not see it this way but your boss may have done you a favour. He didn't fire you, did he? He wants you to be well and so do we. He senses that AA and counselling was helpful to you before and he'd like to continue with that. Perfectly reasonable, isn't it? He wants the best staff he can get and he wants a good performance from them. You want to enjoy your job and have security over your earnings. The boss has pointed you back towards the path you can follow to achieve those goals.

If it was me, I'd say thank you to him (either directly or in your mind) and see that this is a great opportunity for you, just as a similar problem was for me.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

I hope it all works out for you

You may get fired..... you may not. Control what you can and focus on that.

would your boss have given you an indication your chances were up?

best of luck
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The outcome will be what it will be; you have no control over that.

However, the higher concern is that after three years you picked up. That's what I would be focusing on because that is the true problem; not what your boss thinks about it.

To keep things in perspective, it sounds like he gave you a warning; you've given yourself a warning, and you have to redouble your efforts; return to AA and work your program and treatment, and things will go the way they are meant to go.

One foot in front of the other. I have often heard that all that misery can return whenever we want it...all we have to do is pick up that first drink. I think you learned that first hand.

There's nothing you can do to change the relapse, but there is plenty you can do to ensure it doesn't happen again.

IMO it has more to do with what you do going forward, then a momentary lapse in reason. Walk the walk.

We'll all help you with the walk. Keep your chin up and move forward.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i now you must have some heavy disappointment, but then again you get to get all those pretty chips again. like 'instant' said, i hope it works out for you. seems like 'they' always tell me, keep coming back it will get better.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did your boss know that you were an alcoholic? Had you worked there more than the three years that you've been sober?

I don't know what the circumstances are, but I hope things work out for you.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
If it was me, I'd say thank you to him (either directly or in your mind) and see that this is a great opportunity for you, just as a similar problem was for me.
Thank you, I did tell him thank you,, i actually texted him this moring and told him i was back at my AA meetings and went to counceling, and I told him my boys and my job where the most important thing to me, thanks again
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Harleybluz

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Well done for sharing your anxiety here. I can certainly relate to the fear of losing a job because of alcohol. In fact, it very nearly happened to me 65 days ago. My boss gave me a final warning and for me that was the motivation I needed to go back to AA and work the programme properly. I am glad I did as I have remained sober since. That's by attending AA every day, finding a sponsor, reading, praying, studying and sharing.

You may not see it this way but your boss may have done you a favour. He didn't fire you, did he? He wants you to be well and so do we. He senses that AA and counselling was helpful to you before and he'd like to continue with that. Perfectly reasonable, isn't it? He wants the best staff he can get and he wants a good performance from them. You want to enjoy your job and have security over your earnings. The boss has pointed you back towards the path you can follow to achieve those goals.

Very good advice and comfort given there. I think the same. If he didn't fire you already, I would say he is not going to. And...thanking him would not be a bad idea at all. It shows him that you appreciate his concern and that is exactaly what he showed you. Good luck getting back on track. YOu have 3 yrs under your belt so you know how it's done. Meetings and counceling together will give you a better chance at staying sober. Good luck sweetie.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
klg

ANNA, i have worked here for 16 years, so he pretty much knows everything about me
Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like he cares about you - you can do something about it and you are. Keep going to meetings, doctors, posting, talking to others, etc. After that then there is nothing else you can do. But those actions will help you keep your job and help you to know you did all the right things. Try to stay focused on today, I know it's hard - that's my goal every day right now. LOL Nothing else.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As long as you get back to AA and show him you are working your program he will have no grounds to fire you. If you go to work drunk, like I did, than that's another story! LOL
Although bosses can do whatever they want he can't technically 'fire' you for something that didn't happen on company time. If he did, you could go to the labor board. There are many companies who compromise their employees during different problems (mine did not and it was a health facility). All you can do is show him by your actions that you are serious.
I would question the integrity of the person who told and his relationship in your work/personal life. But it will ultimately up to you in the future if you keep your job.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
As long as you get back to AA and show him you are working your program he will have no grounds to fire you. Although bosses can do whatever they want he can't technically 'fire' you for something that didn't happen on company time. If he did, you could go to the labor board. There are many companies who compromise their employees during different problems (mine did not and it was a health facility). All you can do is show him by your actions that you are serious.
I would question the integrity of the person who told and his relationship in your work/personal life. But it will ultimately up to you in the future if you keep your job.
Thanks Emeraldrose, I do question who told on me, because I was an 1 1/2 hours away from the hospital and dont feel like its my works business what i do on my weekends off. I was not drinking although like i said my boss already knows my history so assums i was drinking, although the cop let me go. I have not come to work drunk. I do my job very good, and am reliable.
My other boss has told us that as long as it doesnt happen at the hospital then it doesnt affect our jobs. THen why am I so nervous...
then i just found out the Dr's office that gave me the precription for diet pills just got raided. thats fine because all they did for me was make me jittery and moody.

now i just take vitamins.

I'm off today and through sunday for a little vacation with my kids. no alcohol involved.
t