Notices

temptations

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

temptations

today my boss called a meeting with 4 other of my colleagues. After 1h of meeting and discussion of things out of nowhere opened a bottle of champagne. He just took it out of his backpack and opened it to celebrate a promotion. Within 30sec he poured it into glasses (he has hidden in his backpack) and handed them around to say posit. there was no way to escape. I pretended to drink (meaning I put the glass to my lips but did not take a sip), and desperately tried to get out of there before anybody noticed. I am in my 5th month, but boy that was a close call. I felt the peer pressure growing and because we were all in there and usually we are not supposed to have alcohol at work (company's policy) I did not see that one coming. How would you have handled it? Have you ever been in a situation like that?
I am still freaked out.
Also if I would have taken a sip due to the peer pressure would I have to reset my sober date, since I almost felt like its the sip or my career..... (Still did not take the sip thank god)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have a boss, or a work situation, but I would stick to my 'thanks but no thanks - I don't drink' line.

I don't fake sip - people will invariably remember me 'drinking' and offer me a glass again somewhere down the line

D
Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you saying that you would have been fired, had you not pretended to drink? That sounds like it would be incredibly illegal to me.

I don't fake-sip either. I would have taken the glass and put it down. At both my children's weddings, I toasted with water. Did anyone notice? I doubt it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it through! At 5 months you still haven't been in a lot of these situations and to be blind sided like that isn't fun.

Without knowing your workplace I think you handled it well. I think you could have said "I don't drink k" and you should in the future. It might have seemed like it was drink or be fired but I would aged that wasn't the case.

Congrats on resisting!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well they know I do not drink and I doubt they would have fired me on the spot, but it was one of these situations where if you want to go up the corporate ladder (and next year they decide if I get from temporary to fixed) you go along with the group. Also in the 3 years I am with the company this never happened and I always had enough warning to say no or put it down or excuse. Just this time it was like an insider meeting where you will be one of us, so join us kind of moment and as they say if you want to be a shark you need to swim with the sharks........ I hope since it took 3 years this situation will come up in 3years again........ I had a dinner meeting last week, with my boss and a colleague and I had no problem ordering a diet coke and sticking with it, just this time because it was a super happy event for my boss and I had no clue, it came out of nowhere......
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get job, I think you did some very quick thinking in a very difficult situation!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you did the right thing.

interestingly enough i am going to face a very similar situation at work tomorrow. i already told people that i will be with, that i cannot drink "due to health issues"... they looked a little weired at me (possibly because i would be the first one celebrating in the past), but didn't really say anything one way or another. i still have to socialize, but i am not going to drink and if the pressure gets too much... get out, make up an excuse and get out.

if someone gets fired, or doesn't get promoted, for not taking a drink that's border line insane, imo.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, i think i learned a lot. Serious, all i can say is try to have a backup plan. I am putting a new one into my repertoire.... nothing ism