Notices

Rockrz

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
I'm accepting I am an alcoholic
Isn't there a point in recovery where a person is no longer an alcoholic?

Just curious, because I heard the AA teaches that you can never be free...all you can ever hope to accomplish is managing the addiction.

Is this commonly accepted thought?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rockrz

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
It is not exactly a commonly accepted thought. Most AA members never go on to experience the 10th step promise. However, many do and call themselves "Recovered".
I thought AA taught it was not possible to recover...that people are always a "recovering" alcoholic...never actually being free from it. Apparently, only Jesus Christ can actually free someone from addiction.

Originally Posted by CeeFarro View Post
Alcohol is poison to me

It's actually poison to any human being that consumes it, isn't it?
I heard scientifically they have proven that the body cannot burn alcohol properly, and as such it is not intended to be ingested by people.

Burn it in laterns, make ethenol out of it for our cars (moonshine)...OK, but people drinking it...not so much.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but you should read the Big Book of AA Rockrz...it may help clear up some misconceptions

I have no problem with describing alcohol as poison either - I doubt most people here will - it certainly damaged my health and very nearly killed me.

D
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe someone should start a "Cigarettes Anonymous" group...do they have those?

The wife says she wants to quit these as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We do have a Nicotine forum here

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

maybe you'd like to start another thread if you have things you want to discss rockrz?
D
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nah, just asking a few questions since my wife is wanting to quit...

About 12+ years ago I got delivered from drinking, smokin cigarettes, smokin dope, doing coke and meth, and pretty much doin any drug that was not a downer...

I found all these things to be symptoms of a much deeper problem that few ever figure out, which is the core issue. Once the core issue is taken care of, these other things just fall right off.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
I thought AA taught it was not possible to recover...that people are always a "recovering" alcoholic...never actually being free from it. Apparently, only Jesus Christ can actually free someone from addiction.
Can't say as I have met too many people who claim J.C. freed them from addiction. However, I do know dozens who say Bill W. did... LOL!

"Recovering" is a term that crept into AA from treatment centers. It has no foundation in AA literature.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can't say as I have met too many people who claim J.C. freed them from addiction
Well, if that's all people are after from "JC", then yes they will ultimately fail and will need to take some other approach.

Addiction is just another symptom of the sinful condition mankind is currently in...which leads to addictions and all the other ills mankind experiences not being connected to their true destiny in which they were created for.

Anywho, it's not a claim in my life because I never even think about getting stoned on anything (literally...never crosses my mind, and when it does, it's un-real to me as though it was someone else, got that by taking 2 Corinthians 5:17 literally, because it is!)...I'm so high now...all that stuff would be a serious letdown and joy kill.

That's another thing I learned...having an addictive / rebellious mindset is not necessarily a bad thing....depending on exactly what you are addicted to and rebelling against...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Recovering" is a term that crept into AA from treatment centers. It has no foundation in AA literature.
So their literature doesn't not mention recovery?
What is the official purpose for AA is recovery is not in their vocabulary?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't really think about the definitions too much...it doesn't really effect me. I don't care if I am or am not an alcoholic, if I am or am not recovered. All I care about is that I am a happy, healthy human being who does not drink.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
So their literature doesn't not mention recovery?
What is the official purpose for AA is recovery is not in their vocabulary?
Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Quoted from the AA preamble
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey Rockrz ---

I was wanting to address some of the statements you've made here on this thead.....:

"...I heard the AA teaches that you can never be free..."
"...I thought AA taught it was not possible to recover...that people are always a "recovering" alcoholic..."
In response to a statement Boleo made...: "..."Recovering" is a term that crept into AA from treatment centers. It has no foundation in AA literature..."
You replied.........: "...So their literature doesn't not mention recovery? What is the official purpose for AA is recovery is not in their vocabulary?..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It would appear that you have been given a lot of misinformation. Rather than address these point by point, I think I'll just make a suggestion (AA, and AAer's just loves suggestions.....lol). It's good that you're asking questions.....but instead of just asking for folks opinions of what AA is, or what AA believes/teaches, or what AA's literature says........why don't you just buy a copy of AA's Big Book and decide for yourself....? It's simply titled 'Aocoholics Anonymous' and can be purchased for as little as $2.50---the first 164 pages, anyway (that's the heart of AA, and it's program; the rest of the book is personal stories)....or you can read it online.....:

Big Book On Line

Just for the fun of it, I'll add my opinions to the mix....Well, actually they're not my opinions; they're my experiences and observations.....Most of my f2f friends who're in recovery are 'recovered' just like the BB says (and btw, most of those folks are atheists--therefore no JC or HS involved; no delivery/delivered, just recovery/recovered). They're happy, joyous, and free (again, just like the BB says).

Enough about moi......here's happy reading to you...............

(o:
NoelleR
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rockrz,
You really should read the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. The title page is crystal clear as to what the book is about: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism. Forward to the First Edition: We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.

My experience is that I am a recovered alcoholic as a result of working the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Recovered does not mean cured. I will always have the physical allergy to alcohol and I can never drink again. Also, I need to maintain fit spiritual condition on a daily basis. But essentially, the mental obsession around alcohol and drinking that plagued me has been removed, completely gone. I don't want to drink anymore. I am neither fighting it, nor avoiding temptation, nor having sworn off.

Seriously, I think the book will answer the questions you are asking.
Susan