Notices

For those of us under a week--hang on!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For those of us under a week--hang on!

We have been given this day--no matter where we are.

If you are where I was recently, feeling crappy and guilty, then you have found the right place and you should be very happy to be here.

Just a little further in, life is unrolling in front of me. The thing I have found the very hardest to believe is that each time I drink I lose my progress. But I do--I do. And it isn't worth it. I will say my quit/relapse cycle has proved it to me over and over--which is positive (but lucky, damned lucky).

Once something is proved, say that the Earth is round, we still have to find a way to believe it. That's where I am. Learning to believe.

Today I believe.

I think the hardest thing to face is that a little further into sobriety I know I will lose this sense of elation and victory, but I hope to have built a stronger foundation than I have had before.

Keep going. Eat, sleep, let the days roll by.

"We won't get fooled again."
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me!

I am DETERMINED to break through the "weekend barrier" this time!

Drinking for me becomes a state of mind... It doesn't matter that I don't actually drink for 4 days during the week, it's sort of like the effect that alcohol has on me lasts at least that long.

Thus getting drunk on Sunday allows my mind to hide from the true growth, peace, and happiness on the horizon for several days, and by the time if really start to shake the booze effects, I drink again.

The fact that the mental effects persist is, in my mind, the true sign of alcoholism for me. It's not just feeling hungover for a day, its keeping myself weighted down with alcohol. And the weight only needs to be refreshed every few days, or even every week.

So breaking free of that initial chain is so important. There will be a new set of struggles after that, I'm sure, but for me getting through that first week is a big step!

Good luck all!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God, please grant me wisdom.

How do you get thrugh the first few days

How do you get thrugh the first few days without detox. I have heard stories about what can happen if you don't go thru a supervised detox. I have no medical insurance and I cant afford rehab. Is there a safe way to get thru this on my own?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I will say this--if you need medical detox and don't have health insurance, the ER is always an option. They can't turn you away. Later on, you can make payment arrangements (if you need to).
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
We have been given this day--no matter where we are.

If you are where I was recently, feeling crappy and guilty, then you have found the right place and you should be very happy to be here.

Just a little further in, life is unrolling in front of me. The thing I have found the very hardest to believe is that each time I drink I lose my progress. But I do--I do. And it isn't worth it. I will say my quit/relapse cycle has proved it to me over and over--which is positive (but lucky, damned lucky).

Once something is proved, say that the Earth is round, we still have to find a way to believe it. That's where I am. Learning to believe.

Today I believe.

I think the hardest thing to face is that a little further into sobriety I know I will lose this sense of elation and victory, but I hope to have built a stronger foundation than I have had before.

Keep going. Eat, sleep, let the days roll by.

"We won't get fooled again."
Thanks Missy7. Just what I needed to hear today. I am on day 2, after relapsing for a few months. Bad things have happened during my relapse: lying, car crash, drunk fighting, drunk at work (boss suspicious). I am really lucky I still have my job, family, freedom, health. I just pray that *this* can be my rock bottom. I just have to remember the hell that my life will be if I drink.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Enchanted horse--I hope you are getting help. I have been in a relapse cycle, and it has been a stupid waste of time, but it has allowed me some time to detox. That first round was definitely the hardest. Since then, because I will get a week or ten days between binges, I think it goes a little easier, but it's no joke. If you are really still drinking a lot, you need to research what to do, and perhaps, as advised above, go to an ER. But you could try drinking less each day...I have no medical information, but that certainly couldn't hurt. And if you don't feel physically or emotionally ready to quit, at least it would be progress, right?