Notices

Introduction

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Good Morning,
Let me introduce myself, I am Dana. I have been struggling with drinking for years. I actually didnt start drinking until I was about 30, started hanging out with some friends at work and here I am. I couldnt tell you the last time I didnt have a drink. I go to the bar daily and come home and have a "night cap" or two or three. I dont crave alcohol, but once I start, I cant stop. Now I am at a point where I feel REALLY crappy in the morning and have found myself taking a swig "hair of the dog" kinda thing to feel better. My husband has begged me to stop and I even hide booze sometimes. There isnt AA where I live, nearest meeting is about an hour away. I thought I was doing ok, but this feeling like crap everyday until I have a drink is a vicious cycle. Just tossing this all out here.
Dana
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing part of your story with us....Welcome...

It's always a good idea to have an honest talk about your drinking with a doctor...de toxing from alcohol is a medical issue...

Last edited by CarolD; 06-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you are here Dana.

I believed there wasn't AA in the area I was living in also. Turns out that the AA web site just didn't have all the information. I found that by calling a few local churches I could find meetings in my area.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dana. Thanks for posting. I too, couldn't stop once I started. It became a vicious cycle of not stopping, feeling crappy every morning and jumping right back in to make it go away. And I hid it too - and man, is that exhausting.

I have learned so much here by spending a lot of time reading others posts and finding inspiration and knowing I am not the only one who has experienced all of this. I am sure that you will too if you stick around.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dana

good advice here - please do see your Dr as detox can sometime be tricky for some of us...and if you want to check out AA, latte's suggestion sounds like a good one...even if 30 mins is the nearest meeting that sounds doable to me, if it will help break the cycle you're in

You'll find a lot of support here too - Welcome!

D
Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR, Dana.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dana, welcome to Sober Recovery. I'm glad you found us.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I, too, started drinking in the morning. I didn't have anyone to hide from because I'm single. I, also, couldn't stop once I started.

Drinking in the morning is a serious sign of alcohol dependence. Trust me, I've been there. I would suggest going to your doctor and being completely honest. You won't be telling him/her anything they haven't heard before. Alcoholism isn't a personality problem, it's a disease.

Please seek help in any way you can. Beleive me, things only get worse if you keep drinking.

Thanks for your post, and best to you.