Notices

Hi from 40Creek

Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from 40Creek

I know I am in trouble but I am not sure I can quit. I am a trucker and therefore going to a weekly program is not going to work. I would be a repetative no show. I don't know what to do so I went on the net and wound up here. I like the concept of actually communicating with people but as an active alchoholic I don't know if I belong.
With the stress in my life I don't know if I could quit so I would like to ask you how you quit. I stopped for a couple of days and went crazy. My brain convinced me of all the reasons this is the wrong time to quit.
Anyway, I'll post this and see what advice you folks can share with me. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Off to a bad start

I didn't meen to post on your post area. I tried to start a new one and obviously didn't do it right. Now I look again I see what I did wrong. Sorry to so drasticaly change the subject of your thread.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not to worry 40Creek - I made a new thread for you.

I don't 'do' AA but I do know it's pretty much everywhere - I know people who move around a lot and they just go to a meeting wherever they are, so that's one possibility.

I think whatever you do tho, not drinking requires some pretty big changes in your life - I had to stop hanging out with my drinking buddies and hanging out in bars...

I had to learn to deal with living life with all it's ups and downs without reaching for the bottle... and that's why I think support, whatever you end up using, is vital - I had to find a support network for those times when I felt vulnerable, and SR has been there for me on that score.

I know you'll find support and ideas here too

D
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

40creek,
Our stories are all already here in the posts. Read the posts in the June 2011 group for the newbies start, the under 6 months group for the mid levels and the under one year group and over one year threads.

We all had a tough row to hoe at first and many made it past that first couple of weeks. When you are truly ready to quit the constraints on your time will not matter, you will make the time. The stresses you mention will be easier to deal with once you quit, they did for me, since most of them were alcohol caused anyway.

I checked myself into a VA hospital for a seven day detox. I wasn't going to detox the hard way. That was a long time ago by drinking standards and I haven't looked back since.

If you have any specific questions put them out and we'll answer them if possible. We have all been in your shoes and many still in them.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

40creek. there is a way through it- you just haven;t found it yet. The first weeks are the hardest physically, you might want to work out if you are at risk of a complicated de-tox- and decide which way to go
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74 I could not figure out how to make a thread it out last night.
I have to go back to work now (6:15 am) and dont know when I can read these replys but I will read them all.
I'm in pretty bad shape and now my job is at risk. I don't drink at work but I can't wait to get through the day and grab a beer or 6, or 8. On my days off I used to start drinking at about 2pm now its 10 am and does not stop all day.
I have to stop, this I know but I don't really believe I can.
I bought some O'douls non-alchahol beer and am going to try them. You know-have a real one then a fake then a real. Maybe I can cut down on the numers I pound back in a day. Any advise?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I bought some O'douls non-alchahol beer and am going to try them. You know-have a real one then a fake then a real. Maybe I can cut down on the numers I pound back in a day. Any advise?
Well, I tried that 40 - didn't work real well for me, I'm afraid.
How did it go for you?

D
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi 40 and welcome to SR!

Realizing you have a problem and looking for help is the first step...so congratulations on that! I encourage you to read on SR ....there is sO much advice and support here

I'm also going to say that I haven't ever heard of anyone successfully moderating by alternating with NA beer.

I believe you can quit.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Near Beer - Valleyview, AB

As I learned in rehab a few weeks ago, if you drink non-alcoholic beer, your addictive brain homes in on the taste > and IMMEDIATELY wants the real thing.

Pour the O'Doul's out > and stay away from the liquor store.

Best of luck.

Kelly
Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm going to try to stay sober until friday. If I can do that then I think I will find some courage to keep going. Having an end to the goal right now seems better than cold turkey. Just the thought of quiting scares the pants off a me. Maybe friday I will have courage to go for the weekend etc...
I just took my remaining half case to the gargage cans and left them sitting beside them. I live in a trailer court.-----You know,,just to complete the stereotype LOL

Kellyeurope: I tried to send you a P.M. however I guess I'm not yet alowed to do that. I need more posts. Anyway, thanks for your P.M.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

More posts

Yes, you need (I think it is)...15 posts.

Then, my fellow Canadian from the Rocky Mountain Province, you and I can PM away...and hopefully keep each other sober.

I go on to SR every day, hope to see you there.

My 2 trips to Alberta were great...Calgary.

Go Flames!

Go Oilers!

Hockey rules.

Kelly
Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's not that many for PMs, Kelly - 5 posts for PMs, 15 posts for posting links....you're nearly there 40

D
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm just gonna post this one so I have enough to PM if I want TNX
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go Flames???-----Did you say G Flames?
Ohhhhh, yer making it mighty hard to like you.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I made it three days and after gasping for air, knee buncing like a mad man, and talking to myself (out loud) incesantly I have failled. I sit here now after my 3rd beer and I want to cry so baddly.
If you all have quit, for the love of god, do not ever start again. Waking up feeling like crap, and blowing who knows how much cash for the sole purpose of destroying ones life, and feeling like a complete faillure every day is not worth a taste of what you left behind. I quite smoking several years ago with far, far less pain. I don't know how you did it but I sure respect you for it.......God Bless
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Try again. Start over. You can do this, you proved that by doing 3 days.
Don't give up!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are not alone! Any of us could be in your shoes tomorrow! Don't give up
Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give more thought to the support thing 40...it's hard to change our lives and ourselves - get as much support as you can....

like I said before moving from town to town need not be an obstacle to hitting a meeting, for example...

D
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

40 Creek - I have been thinking about you since you posted this. PLEASE don't give up. Your heart is in the right place. I'm so sorry it is so hard for you and I'm new to this too so I can't give any great advice but I want you to keep trying!! You are not a failure - you are trying to kick a demon that takes over us - and you can. You can PM me if you need to talk. Just please, don't give up. We are all here to support each other.