Notices

day 2, an old dear hobby comes back

Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2, an old dear hobby comes back

I know I am posting too much, if I get to bore you just let me know. But tonight for the first time in over ten years, I flew one of my rc helicopters. My kids were amazed, I guess they had never seen them before, especially with their daddy, usually drunk as a skunk, flying it. Hell I even ordered some parts to get another one up and running. I also ordered some rare palm tree seeds, I used to raise them when i had my greenhouse. By the way I will be building another one of them too. Anyway the palm tree seeds are kind of symbolic, It takes tons of patience, most of them take months to sprout and require constant care.

Anyway sorry for running at the mouth. Thaks for all your previous comments, I really do appreciate it!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep posting! Glad you had a great time with your kids.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You aren't posting too much at all! Keep posting. We're here to support you. Sounds like a nice time with the kids.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No need to apologize for posting!

Getting back to your old hobby sounds like a great idea for you, and your kids. It's amazing what comes to light when we stop drinking.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep posting. People can choose not to read the posts if they are tired of it. But I for one like to hear how others are doing--details, details, details. I don't come to SR for a news ticker. I'm here to share what others are doing, and I suspect that's what we all need.

Congrats on picking up your dreams where they left off.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Beautiful stuff, MP. Please keep it comin'.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Getting to hobbies is one of my biggest indicators of health and I view it as so critical to sobriety. These hobbies can also become the tools we use to relieve stress in place of using booze and drugs.

It's so great that you have some that you can reconnect to. Many really don't know that is when they are getting sober and it can be hard finding out what you enjoy doing with your time. Use those hobbies and keep posting.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like two great hobbies to enjoy with your kids!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post- I am at day 58 sober and the fun I have been having with my kids has been incredible. Not being hung over makes it so much easier to spend quality time with them whether it is playing basketball or whatever you like to do. Keep up the good work
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome mechanic. You can never post too much and never have too many hobbies.
We need to redirect our energy on positive things, refocus on what was important and return to what we enjoyed before we drank.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Super post! That is so cool to rediscover parts of your old self so soon—and for your kids to enjoy it with you. Hold onto that feeling when times get tough. I hope anyone struggling reads your post. I didn't get one of those amazing moments quite as fast, but they started coming eventually, and they make me so grateful I quit.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff MP

D
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On hobbies, I'm allowed ten hobbies by my husband (a long-standing joke). I'm a very good knitter, I am potter, a poet, I sew. I collect pottery, I have a weaving loom, and onward. I am pretty good at stained glass. I am incredibly creative and naturally have gobs of energy.

Why mention this?

Because during the two or three years Hubby and I have been bar flies, I have done NONE of these. I have given up so very much for this. And I'm tired of it. Since I first came to SR I have:

Made my first two quilts, knitted half a scarf, and made a stunning cloth doll for my grandaughter--which she loves (though it shant last long ).

Tonight I have prepared a lovely meal (I'll start a thread on that shortly) and I hope to work on another quilt.

I can pay for the materials with my newfound booze money, and working on something I'm making is every bit as interesting as any conversation I've had with a drunk in a bar.

Except my husband, my buddy, with whom I spend all those hours talking politics, entertainment, parenting, and stuff. There's the temptation.