Notices

One which day do you fail?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Re-Member

On which day do I fail?

Daily until I decided that it was slow suicide and I wasn't suicidal.

Now I don't fail, no day and no cycles, I am done with alcohol. Have been for awhile like Zen put so well.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I must have really hit bottom, as this was my first time giving up and it will nearly be 6 months sober

I have relapsed in my dreams a couple of times, and the little voice of saying you can drink normally has entered my brain many times, but when all is said and done, I am unfortunately allergic to alcohol. As simple and yet as complex as that.

My name here is Ring, and I joined here a week after giving up, the ring represented my committment, love and respect for myself and the life I knew I could live. I truly believe something happens when you know you just have to stop, no matter what.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I think it's something we've hardwired into our brains, still thinking of alcohol and drugs as rewards. For example, we spend some time sober, working and going about life. Then the weekend comes around or a special occasion and we decide that just one can't hurt. But it does because we never really end up quitting until it's too late. What we need to do is believe in ourselves more and not fall back into old habits.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Without help, the best I could do was 88 days.

With AA, 3 1/2 years and counting.
for me i made it a month one time (without A.A) now i got 4 years and 5 months.. with A.A. AND a good sponsor!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

So, I've only had one stretch of 13 days at longest so maybe I've never relapsed. Maybe I just haven't gotten the quit right yet...I kinda like that.

Today is day two as as was said earlier, I'm working on the positive. I woke up this morning, did a light workout on my elliptical, had cereal, and came here. Next I am going to do a little work, then I'm off to walk at the track. Then ride the horse. Then meet hubby for lunch (at a hamburger place that doesn't serve alcohol) then home. It's hot today so I've got fish in the fridge.

Day two handled. Feeling good.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I fail on the day that I don't get out of my own head for at least 30 minutes. My failure starts way before I take in a substance or act out behavior wise.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Great posts, all!!

When do I fail? Every day...no doubt. I some way, I fail to live up to my own expectations, and the expectations of others. The difference is...i don't drink over it anymore. The trick isn't to stop, it is to stay stopped. How? For me, God, AA, the 12 Steps, SR!!! and finding sober relationships. Keep posting, you have my prayers.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I wrote a short story to put in a eventual book for another message board where we mostly talk about parenting. One thing I said and I live by, "I can screw up a million times a day, but if at the end of that day I haven't had a drink, or taken a mind altering substance, the day is a success." I want to include the typical addict behavior that we all know about.