Notices

Day 1, need lots if help

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
klg

Day 1, need lots if help

Hi I went 3 years without a drink and now I seem to not be able to put it down. I don't get drunk I just get a buzz and need to quit it all together. The reason I only get a buzz is because I only buy a half pint of vodka. I would drink what ever I had. I am a single mom with 2 wonderful boys their dad passed away several years back. I've had 2 dui's already,and am just SCARED TO DEATH OF GETTING another one,, I also have a wonderful job that I want to keep. If i get another dui i loose job house and most likely my boys. Im really scared. Ive been reading this forum all night and descided to join it.
How do you just quit?? I really need help.
DESPRETE
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"how do you quit?"

Well that's a tough one because it's a long answer. LOL

Have you had enough? Are you tired and desperate enough to do whatever it takes to stop? Think about that. Whatever it takes?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello KLG. Welcome to SR!

I've had trouble not being able to put it down also. I went to AA and found help there. I've also found an incredible amount of help here.

Do you have any alcohol in the house now? If so get rid of it and let's see if we can make it through the day together sober.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
klg

tinman no i dont have any alchol in the house right now,, if I did i would drink it. I am desperate I'm all my boys have its just me. I hate the way alcohol make me feel but still cant stop drinking it,,
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool, so we are good with not having any alcohol in the house. Now we fight the urge to go get some.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the boy's father. How old are your boys?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Klg

My sons father was killed..prior to that I was in an alcoholic plummet.. when he died I crashed.. during that my then teenage son walked out while I was drinking and said 'Dad would be do proud of who u are now' .. that sent me ballistic...

Ive noticed this site has a grief forum.. Id check that .. grief counselling helped both my son and I... but basically alcohol.. didnt help my own grief..It blocked it if anything...it caused me not to feel at a time I really needed to...

Being a single mum is doable...being a sober single mum.. is doable and awesome..its one of my biggest fears.. that ill stuff it up.. but with a drink in my hand and mind.. for me Ive stuffed it anyway...
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So how are you doing this morning? Are you not working today? Is it warm where you are? It's supposed to be warm here in the Northwest...maybe the warmest day of the year.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, when we run away from our feelings, we end up having to face them again eventually, if we want to get sober.

You have a lot to stay sober for. As for how you do it - don't buy the alcohol today. Drive home a different way so you avoid the store. Do something with your boys in the evening to take your mind off drinking for a little while. Do whatever it takes.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

klg= I know how you feel. I am a single mother of 2 awesome kids and I have a wonderful job that I love.
I know I can lose it all because of alcohol.
That fear is what is making me want to change.
The fear that I am losing my kids' respect.
The fear of a DUI.
But even being terrified of these things, I still find myself drinking. It sucks, but I went 5 straight days last week without a drink and I felt great. Now I want to be sober, not for the fear of what can happen but for the hope to finally feel good and happy and healthy. I need to learn to refocus my bad thoughts and habits into good happy thoughts and habits as an example for my kids.
I want to feel good again.
Take care and try to stay strong. Remember 1 day at a time and even 1 hour at a time... 1 minute at time if you have to. You will feel so proud of yourself tomorrow morning. Trust me.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Klg
you had three years sober before- how did that come to pass and what did you do to achieve it? can you repeat what you did before?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to SR klg,

I am just on a "Day 1" myself and am pretty down about it... I feel right now that I want to weekend to be here already because the emotions of regret and anger and fear are usually strong enough for me to resist alcohol for a few days.

I wish you the best and hope that we can both report a successful day 1 tomorrow and then move on to day 2!!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome klg

Support was what made the difference for me - whether it's here, or your Dr, or a recovery group like AA or SMART etc. or counselling, or some form of inpateient or outpatient rehab - there's a lot of help around. Do reach out for it.

You'll find a lot of support here

And please don't drive drunk. There are even worse things that can happen than DUIs.

D
Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the boy's father. How old are your boys?
my boys are 11 and 13. I have a wonderful life with my boys I have a great job, a new house, yet I have the craving thing going on,,, I've talked to my boys about it and they know I am not to go to the liquar store any more, or have any drinks when we are out to dinner. I have great kids and hopefully together we can get through this..
Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by Reed22 View Post
welcome to SR klg,

I am just on a "Day 1" myself and am pretty down about it... I feel right now that I want to weekend to be here already because the emotions of regret and anger and fear are usually strong enough for me to resist alcohol for a few days.

I wish you the best and hope that we can both report a successful day 1 tomorrow and then move on to day 2!!
Good luck,, I will be praying for all of us. I unlike you could not resist alcohol any days. It was liquar during the week and deer on sunday since liquar stor is closed. Good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
So how are you doing this morning? Are you not working today? Is it warm where you are? It's supposed to be warm here in the Northwest...maybe the warmest day of the year.
I'm good this morning about to get up and head to work. Day 2. :day6