SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day One (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/229732-day-one.html)

mechanicpsyco 06-19-2011 07:20 PM

Day One

This is the first day I have went without drinking in probably 10 years. Probably 12 to 14 beers a day. Sometimes over a case on each day of the weekend. I dont miss work, i dont have hangovers, i guess i just stay messed up all the time. Been drinking at this pace for probably 20 years, i am 40 now. Most of my life has been a blure. I know I am rambling, but I really want this to work. My two boys (8 and 10) seemed to look at me differently, something was different but they couldnt put their finger on it. I am not sure if either of them have ever seen me sober, isnt that sad.
Anyway thanks for letting me vent. I will check in tomorrow.

dbskid 06-19-2011 07:25 PM

Been where you are.....see in my signature.......My first week was very hard...it's steadily gotten better, but I still feel a bit of a fog....but I can see improvement week to week and already feel better than I have in 20 years......my sense of humor is coming back.......I'm feeling more calm.....good luck to you....you CAN do this.......!!!!

Latte 06-19-2011 07:25 PM

Welcome to SR. I'm so glad you are here.

I hope you continue to post here. I look forward to your posts.

Dee74 06-19-2011 07:25 PM

welcome to SR :)

D

TheTinMan 06-19-2011 07:29 PM

Welcome to SR. I am 40 also and spent close to 20 years living your life.

Congrats on day one. Stay strong and make a day 2.

suki44883 06-19-2011 07:29 PM

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here. We've all been where you are, just starting out, so we understand what you are feeling and will be feeling in the days and weeks to come. Hope you'll stick around and do a lot of reading. There are a lot of very supportive people here.

spikeman 06-19-2011 08:47 PM

Hello mechanicpsyco and welcome to SR.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 43 and have been drunk on and off for 25 years and am just starting again to clean myself up. I have a great little boy who's almost 4 and I want to be there for him too.

Good luck. Maybe we can succeed together!

Spikeman

artsoul 06-19-2011 08:47 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your first day sober! Don't hesitate to get some medical assistance for detox if you feel you need it.

Glad you're reaching out for support - it made a huge difference for me (once I got up the nerve to post!):ghug3

Zencat 06-19-2011 09:05 PM

Probably 12 to 14 beers a day. Sometimes over a case on each day of the weekend. I dont miss work, i dont have hangovers,...
Oh yes, I used to pull off that, no hangovers, don't miss work and do massive amounts of drugs on top of my drinking.

Being aware that I absolutely needed to change the direction of my life set me on a course of action. I developed a recovery plan, put it to practice and by my own effort I made all the changes I needed to do in order to live a fulfilling life sober.

Don't be like me and wait until addiction takes everything I worked for in a lifetime to get, only to have my addiction, not only take all that away but leave me disabled for life.