Notices

An update: 5 days free (with help from antabuse)

Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An update: 5 days free (with help from antabuse)

Just thought I would give a wee update since my last post......

I finished my withdrawal program in my house. I went back to the docs a few weeks ago for my next appointment. He recommended that I go on Disulfiram (aka Antabuse) because he knows and I know that I’m powerless to stay away from alcohol.

I know this drug is powerful and what is involved when taking this drug so I decided to have one last week drinking session (without telling the doc) before taking it. I had my last week’s blowout then took my first dose Tuesday morning. It obviously does not take away cravings but that fact that I could die or become seriously ill if I took a sip of alcohol gives me enough power to stay away from alcohol. I am now 5 days free and this is my first weekend alcohol free (or any drugs) since 1998.

My bloodshot eyes are starting to go away, the redness on my face is slowly starting to go down and I am starting to feel slightly healthier. My sleep, attention span, short term memory is fu*ked but I am sure that will get better like the rest of me during recovery.

The only thing that worries me is that I know I can stop these pills and start drinking again 10 days later. I know this will be an issue for holidays and events that I know are coming up but I am hoping my cravings will go away before then.

Anyways, today I purposefully decided to walk down the alcohol aisle in my usual supermarket. I walked down the aisle with the biggest smile on my face knowing that I can’t put anything in it....it felt so good. I also walked out the supermarket known that I’ve saved £75 (120 US$) from 5 days buying alcohol.

Oh, and I’ve just put some of the money into buying the book 'Drinking – A Love Story by Caroline Knapp'. I'm looking forward to reading it once the memory and my attention span gets better :-)

Take care people :-)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was taking Antavuse...the doctor also suggested I become active in AA....I did and it's an awesome adventure in learning how to live sober and enjoy it...

Thanks for the update..good to see you are on the road to a non drinking future....
Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you're moving forward Aaron - great stuff!

D
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Doing whatever it takes to get a good start in recovery is a smart choice.