Notices

AA question

Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA question

I have some questions about AA meetings.

If it says that the meeting is closed, can I still go? Last summer I stopped drinking for two weeks. (Longest time in seven years, second longest time in fifteen...) After the first week I went to one open meeting and found a million excuses to not call the numbers I got and to not go back, even though the church is visible from my house and way closer than the liquor stores and bars that are a whole two blocks away.

I went to that meeting because it was open. but their schedule has few open meetings, and none for the next few days. I stopped drinking for two weeks that time when I successfully quit smoking, which I did accidentally during the throes of a historic hangover. I wish that I'd not decided that nicotine was my only problem and bought a bottle of wine to celebrate quitting smoking. Ten months later, I can say that there were a few weeks here and there where I didn't get inebriated, for sure, but most of it has been a big quiet smokeless bender. Whatever, that's past. So anyway, I'd like to reach out but really don't want to go to the wrong meeting and feel awkward. It's awkward enough as it is.

Anywho, Monday night I drove drunk from the airport. Tuesday afternoon I almost killed myself and a teenage girl in a car accident while I was thankfully not drunk. I decided not to drink that night. It's Saturday morning. Hi. Thanks for reading, your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can go to a closed meeting if you have a desire to stop drinking, although I have heard people say that you must admit you are an alcoholic to go to a closed meeting.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

your thoughts are appreciated.

Never get behind the wheel when you have been drinking, so far you have been lucky.

If you have a desire to stop drinking you can go to the closed meeting. If you have been on a 10 month bender, and you are driving drunk, I think you are ready to take step 1, if you want to.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Heres some information from an AA.org link;

..."to attend A.A. meetings. Anyone may attend open A.A. meetings, but only those with a drinking problem may attend closed meetings"... -- www.aa.org/pdf/products/f-2_InfoonAA.pdf

So get to those closed meetings and see how it goes. Try calling some of those phone numbers...what harm will it do compared to your experiences with alcohol.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went. It was awkward but got better at the end. They were nice. They gave me a book and a white chip and a bunch of phone numbers. A lot of people hugged me. I'm feeling kind of emotional right now. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it went well.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Meetings are GREAT. I am having a very busy AA weekend this weekend--lots going on.

Use those phone numbers. People gave them to you so you can call and talk about AA, how you are feeling, answer questions, give you moral support.

Keep comin' back!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great you went to a meeting. I have been sober for 48 days. I have been in and out of the AA rooms for 30 years. This time I have been able to scrape a few days together, because I listened to what was said and did as was suggested. Didn't tweek things within the steps to fit "my" ideas. I always did that before. I never got a sponsor and made the program according to "me". Then convinced "it" didn't work I would quit going to meetings. Not very effective as I ended up trying to take my own life, after a nine year drinking stint. Hope you find your path in AA. At least give it a try, you have nothing to lose. You can always get your misery back.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lushly View Post
At least give it a try, you have nothing to lose. You can always get your misery back.
Awesome. I'm writing that one down, thanks.