Notices

for the first time i opened the blinds...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

for the first time i opened the blinds...

both actual blinds on my window and proverbial blinds in my mind.
i've been shutting myself out from the world for so long. the view is marvelous, it almost made me cry that i've been letting the life pass me by for so long by secluding myself and my mind. (what was i "hiding" from?)

this is only the start of day 6 for me and i am still far away from my destination, but i will enjoy the journey.

i don't envy all the people who woke up with a massive headache today, i am amused that i am not on my way to the store to get ready for a day of drinking (after all it's almost 10am here). actually i am looking forward to the day of simple things like going to the store, post office, washing my car, etc.

i am just curious where i will be mentally and physically next week... so far it's been a blessing in disguise that shocked me out of blatant insanity, which was leading me to complete self destruction.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday and great job, Serious! I have said before, not having a hangover is one of my biggest incentives to not drink. OHHHH the hangovers.

Day 14 here - (yay!) and it's just as good as when I first let MY "sun shine in". Sure, I have moments, but they are all worth it to feel better and part of the world. I too had shut myself off. I had my moment probably around day 7 just like you - I was at the gym and the sun was shining in and my ipod was blasting and I was like, "what have I been doing to myself when all this could have been part of my life???"

Enjoy the sunshine and keep going!!

Last edited by bratnik; 06-18-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling error changed context
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's unbelievable how many things we can find and how many things there are to do when we think about it -instead of wrapping our heads around a bottle. Good for you and enjoy your sober day. I work today...some folks complain about 'having to go to work'. But my whole life revolves around my newfound freedom and that chance to contribute more than 'just a body' in a sober society.
Have a great day!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff Serious!

I too am on Day 6. I had been anxious about getting through a Friday but it was alright. I woke up bright and early and went for a 9km run, had a swim in our pool, had breakfast with my boys and then went to work for 10 am. Just sitting at my desk now with a large Starbucks coffee - treated myself to a bit of cream and sugar - it's funny how I crave sugar now. Someone told me that our bodies convert alcohol to sugar and so when you stop drinking your body is still looking for that sugar.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The longer you stay sober the better it gets!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your day 6!

I tried to spend as little time outside as possible when I drank...I was ashamed...as though peaople could tell what a mess I was just looking at me...lol

Now I garden in my front yard
Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend serious

D
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

great post - and congrats on day 6. It's such a good feeling to feel connected again, isn't it? I spent years not noticing the little things around me and those were the very things I began to appreciate once I got sober.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its amazing how I used alcohol to feel better, but it made me more depressed and isolated.. and yet I still kept drinking.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Go Serious
We are all on our way to achieving something like our true potential !!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

U've inspired me Serious... Im home alone and realised my blinds both real and in my mind.. have been closed for a long time..Im so isolated at the moment....so that is my goal...to open them....