Notices

Booze still in your house?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

No. No one in our house drinks alcohol.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I know many people in early sobriety have the urge to "test" themselves. But remember, it isn't about willpower. If it was about willpower, we'd all have stopped at 3 drinks instead of 12, we'd have quit before the ambulance took us away, we'd have said no to that cocktail when we had a car to drive home and we wouldn't have had hidden bottles in our homes. We are powerless over alcohol.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Just a quick observation...the people who have booze in their homes know exactly what is there and how much of it there is.

I would have a hard time cataloging my NA beverages without opening the fridge

When I visit my parents and their plethora of booze I am also very aware of what they Have, where it is, what is open and if open how much is in the bottle.
It's what we do, isn't it? Obsession of the mind...

My sister had ONE drink on a recent vacation. I spent days trying to understand how she could have had just one. Just one? What's the point?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My wife drinks wine and beer (responsibly) so we have some of that in the house. Also a bottle of really nice tequila and a very, very old bottle of port. Both were gifts and I'll probably re-gift them. I'm too cheap to pour them out and they represent no temptation. I don't want to drink, so no temptation.

This reminds me I have a tiny bit of pot stashed as well. I probably will end up throwing it out but I never even think about it being there.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

When I was about 6 months or so sober, I found some beers that I had hidden in the closet. My first thought was to drink them. It was so hard to dump them, but I did. I even became angry with myself, because I thought I was so strong in my recovery. Those beers really messed me up for days and the cravings and voices inside my head had returned.
I can't have it in the house, way to tempting 4 me.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yes my SH keeps bottle of scotch and a carton of cigarettes in the house as she drinks her two nightly and still smokes, neither of which I do. I don't play any drama games about it (Like feigning allergies or getting up on a teetotaler soapbox. ) I aqm nopt in the least focused on them or how much is there or whether I could have any.

Were I to change my mind about abstaining from either I would not hide it and would announce my intentions to take up smoking or drinlking again.

However that would not be a relapse, that would be a decision. However I will never make that decision. In that I am with Jon (Jfanagle) when he said :"I also keep Drano, I don't drink either one, they are both poison for me."

Alcohol is just not a major or minor focus in my life, neither pro or con. I don't live in the past and regrets, Nor in fear of the future. The present is just fine with me. Alcohol is not in my present, thus not in my mind except when I am here.