Notices

Hi guys I'm a newbie

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi guys I'm a newbie

Hi, I'm new like my name reads I'm really into fitness. It really helped curb my anxiety, depression and binge drinking. I'm 31 and dealt with binge drinking on and off since I was twenty two trying to cover up the pain of a death of a friend.I also went through a time in my like I used alcohol to cope with anxity a few beers helped me leave the house.

I stipped doing that for years then last year broke up with an abusive ex started drinking a lot then stopped bc I met a role model in the fitness industry who inspired me to become a personal trainer I studied my butt off hardest test of my life and passed. I don't trust well and trusted her things I have never told anyone she knew my vulnerabilities and my past and she shared a similar abusive past.
Unfortunately once I became confident made friends in gym she started turning on me. She stopped talking to me called me names started bullying me in my gym the place I love so much been going everyday for two years. It started in Nnov. Started drinking a few on fridays then I'm also dealing with so much like spending Christmas alone. Back in March my ex role model hurt me in the worst way and I would leave her classes bc she was bullying me she is twenty yrs older. Now I just want to drink everyday. I did go to AA on mon night and I'm joining here bc I don't want to go down that road at all.
People have told me don't let anyone take your power away or grow a backbone. Doesn't take away the pain of being betrayed. I'm a sensitive person unless I have drank liqour I don't hurt others but I get hurt be people so I tend to self abuse with alcohol or overtraining in the gym.
I want to stop self abusing. I can't believe I allow people to get to me to the point where I just want to numb the pain. I want to inspire and motivate others and I can't do that if I'm drinking. I need a healthy outlet for pain. It sucks though I can't drink like a normal person. I feel guilty and worthless so I just want the pain to go away I know it gets worse when drinking.
Its nice to meet you all. Sorry about spelling on my phone.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gymrat

I think a lot of us started drinking to deal with something or someone, but it soon takes on a very real life of its own.

Finding support here has made all the difference for me. I hope you'll get as much out of the site as I have

Welcome aboard

D
Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome gymrat - sorry to hear things are tough right now. Have you tried talking to this person to see why they're treating you this way? What about joining another gym?

Drinking, of course, will only make everything worse (depression, anxiety, health, etc.). It's really good that you recognize a potential problem and are talking about it. Glad you're here!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hola gymrat80,

welcome aboard! I've only been here for a few days, but there are a lot of helpful people on here and a lot of great advice to be found. Reading here definitely helped me stay sober in the last couple of days. Hopefully, this will work for you as well.

I am not sure what advice to give you regarding the situation in the gym, but I know that working out helps me keeping my mind in check. Here's hoping you can either get the problem solved with this woman or find another place to go to. Maybe do some home work out or outdoor stuff until then?

Keep us in the loop!

aND
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Gymrat
you are aware of the pain. You are clearly right to feel it. The situation puts you in a difficult place emotionally and socially.

Drinking will not improve any of this but may salve the pain only for a short while and will leave you with other problems.

I wonder if it might help to also consider (along with the pain) what good has come from this relationship and how you have grown. Now it is time to move on.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gymrat! I'm a fellow June-r too. Bullying is so nasty - regardless of how old you are. It's pretty sad to hear a grown adult is engaging in this behavior with you. I know that alcohol did wonders for stripping me of my confidence and self-esteem, so the bullying probably feels even worse. I'm glad you are continuing at your work and holding your grounds.

Hopefully, a new beginning without the booze will enable you to gain back some more confidence and the bullying will become less of an issue to you. I feel sorry for someone that has to resort to nasty behavior to make themselves feel better.

Is the bullying just verbal? Or is it threatening or physical? Do you work with her or are you just patrons at the same gym?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR Gymrat! So glad you found us!!

Keep coming back. There is hope!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I quit drinking well over a year ago and feel so much better now. I hope you can quit too and solve these issues in your life.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a strange situation you are in. To be an adult in a public place and have another adult behave like a child. I'm glad you are here. Maybe is you let us know what she is mad about we can help you deal with her. Regardless you are here and working on your self abuse and that in and of itself is awesome!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome...my spin on this is that the person tried to mold what was a powerless, spiritually weak, vulnerable person. This person inspired you and was a role model. (To quote you)
Now you are stronger...you are your own person and maybe don't 'need' the nurturing. Could this make this person jealous and left feeling useless herself? If you are an emotionally sensitive person and this person knows which buttons to push -then this person is succeeding in making you feel bad.
Maybe I'm off the mark. But when I drank and had booze in my life I felt like everyone was in a better place than me -both emotionally, mentally, etc. Now after recovery, I see that alot of people could use a tweak in their life -it wasn't 'just' me.