Notices

Have I permanently ruined my brain?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have I permanently ruined my brain?

Hi, I was searching the internet for any resources regarding alcohol abuse and brain damage and I found this forum. I know this is for alcoholism and I'm not an alcoholic per se, but I thought maybe somebody would be able to help me out. I'll try to explain my situation to the best of my ability (might be great because my brain is not working so well right now).

I'm a 21 year old male and I've got some real concerns about my brain. I feel as though I've done some serious damage to it. Right now I can't think straight, I've got some serious 'brain fog', my short term memory has gone to absolute ****, I can't concentrate, and I can't work out complex (or sometimes simple) problems. This is very concerning to me, as I was once an extremely bright person.

I've been binge drinking on most weekends since I was about 16/17 years old, and I occasionally abused amphetamines and MDMA for a while too. It wasn't til I was about 19 or 20 when I really started to feel the effects of this. I started to notice that my short term memory was really degrading. As my username suggests, I didn't really slow down on the drinking. Instead I cut out all amphetamines and pills. My friends who also drink and abuse drugs like I do (except I drank alot more than them), all complained of the same things as I do, like short term memory loss and generally becoming stupid.

Fast forward to NYE 6 months ago. I was drinking really heavily during this period, and then one day I woke up and felt different in my brain. I was really scared because I thought I had done something severe to it, because I was feeling really not well in the head. Similar symptoms to what I have now but not as intense. At this point in time I stopped drinking almost completely. The only time I did ever touch alcohol was having the occasional beer or two with my friends, and I would never have more than say 3 drinks in a night (which is remarkable for me believe it or not). As the time past I started to notice that I was feeling a bit better in terms of my brain (nowhere near where I was at my peak). I thought my brain was at a fairly satisfactory level, and my depression (something that has been there my whole life), was probably at its best it had been for a while. So I was feeling decent overall.

HOWEVER, on Friday (just under a week ago), I STUPIDLY got really drunk as it was a special occasion and I just didn't think about the consequences. When I woke up I was feeling so vague and groggy, but I wrote this off as being really hungover. The thing is, while the sickness and headache faded, the symptoms I mentioned in the first paragraph did not. And here I am on Thursday, still feeling like absolute runt.

Before you say it, I know I have to quit booze completely, and I am confident that I am going to be able to do it. But I'm just scared that it is too late, and I have damaged my brain beyond repair.

If anybody has any similar experiences or advice, please share. And I'm sorry if this post was difficult to understand. I'm dumb now.

S
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My short-term memory went to hell when I quit drinking. It came back, but it's not fully what it was (of course, some and maybe all of that is because of the meds I take for bipolar...they make me kinda stupid sometimes). It's hard to say whether or not you actually HAVE done irreparable damage to your brain and talking to a doctor would be your best bet (a neurologist would be ideal). I do know many people who drank much more for much longer and after coming out of that initial brain fog that tends to happen during early stages of recovery (I've experienced it and have heard many others report similar experiences - mine went away as did many of theirs), and with long-term sobriety, they were pretty much back to normal. But like I said, hard to say without looking at brain scans, etc - which if you're super concerned, a doctor could help.

That being said, the brain is absolutely remarkable in its ability to heal itself in many cases. It's highly plastic and can really bounce back from trauma in ways one might not expect. Of course, alcohol is toxic and can do terrible damage - best to stop now and avoid anything further! AA is a pretty great place to start stopping!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

Only a Dr could really assess you brain and whether you've damaged it permanently.

I will say tho, I think the symptoms you're describing pretty much fitted mine.

With time, patience, and abstinence things got back to pretty much normal for me...it took months tho, not weeks. I'd hammered myself pretty good.

Your condition can only improve with a healthy lifestyle from here on in, I think
I'm glad to see you've decided to quit for good.

Things will only get better from here

D
Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will need to get a CT scan to change your brain.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks for the posts and the PMs, it means alot. The thing that concerns me the most is that what caused these effects was one isolated drinking session. Granted it was big, but it's not like I had been drinking daily. I do want to see a doctor, but at the same time I am concerned of what I will find out.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It can only get better if you quit all together. We all know the consequences if your drinking, etc. continues.
I drank for 30 years -give or take -and find that I can remember what I wore yesterday. I could never remember things, conversations, situations, etc...but it's all coming back to me now. I haven't drank for 5 months and I find that recovery both mentally and physically is progressive just like alsoholism.
Your concerns would be better identified by a real doctor.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi! When I drank...if I really binged I would feel like my brain was scrambeled for a few days after....like I couldn't barely talk. It took months for me to start to feel really well mentally...but I did get better.

Obviously only a doctor can really you for sure...but you are young and have a really excellent chance to heal if you quit
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I feel scrambled alright. I'm so angry at myself for doing all the hard yards of stopping drinking and always being the sober guy, and then I went and blew it by getting drunk on one night and it might cost me my whole life almost. FOOK
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really would go see the Dr - most of us find things are nowhere near as bad as we think they might be - if nothing else you can set your mind at least about whether there's lasting damage or not.

Like others have said, you're young - if you commit to abstinence now, I think you have a very good chance of a full recovery

D
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

These are the same symptoms I had after a night of getting completely inebriated, which means I felt like this for nearly every day while I was binge drinking. All this helped feed my massive withdrawal anxiety problem. The brain fog can be scary because it feels so weird, and the inability to think clearly, remember things, and perform simple tasks are symptoms of anxiety. Forgot the psychological reason for this but I'm sure it's out there on the web somewhere. So yeah, Been there, done that.

I then went on meds and my brain fog "cleared" so to speak and my anxiety symptoms went from out of control to manageable. Was a good short term solution I suppose. But combining the meds with alcohol was when I really started spiraling out of control, which is for another thread.

Now, I'm 5 months sober and off the meds and I finally feel "normal" again. I'm back in school and doing much better than I was the last few years.

So, IMO it sounds like you have what I had....just yet another by product of pumping chemicals into your body....and then not knowing what it is.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Not only is alcohol bad for the brain but MDMA & Meth put all those together well its a no wonder you feel a litttle on the dah side.

I read in the begining of your post that you weren't an alcoholic per se?

I know that I had a hard time w/that to cause I was a binge drinker and I never drank in the mornings and I never had the dt's from it but what I learned was I can still be an alcoholic w/o having that.

Anyway like everyone else has already said if you are that concerned go to a Dr cause honestly none of us have a clue if your brain is damaged or not heck I am lucky if I know if mine is, not really.

Good luck and keep posting
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I spoke to my mother (I live with her because I'm a poor student), and I told her about my symptoms and that I think I should see a neurologist or something. However I didn't tell her that alcohol was the cause of the symptoms ( I just couldn't). She said she will accompany me to the doctor, even though she thinks the symptoms I am describing are caused by depression. I'm scurred
Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you will be seeing a professional....please be honest about the drugs and alcohol....unless you are...it's a waste of money.

A doctor needs facts...then a proper assessment is possible...

welcome...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are seeing the doctor...its okay to be scared.

You don't have to talk to your Mom about your substance abuse but like Carol says you really need to tell yfour doctor...otherwise he wont know what to look for.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Hey there! I don't have any experience with this myself but I did see my mother loose many of her faculties from drinking. She wasn't able to walk, feed herself, or think right. She did gain them all back after about a year.

Like many have said, we're not doctors so you're doing the right thing seeing someone. Like others have said, it is important to be honest with the doctors for them to do a fair assessment. Being honest about can be difficult but I found that I always felt so much better after doing it.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

TELL your doctor why you are there! Tell your mom to wait outside for you. Also tell the doctor that you are very concerned about your mother knowing and that doc patient confidentiality is very important to you. After that spill it. You probably will find that things are not as bad as you thought. And they won't arrest you for telling your doc about illegal drug use. If you want the real truth of your physiological siutation this is what you have to do.

Welcome by the way!!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh never mind, didn't realize you were still drinking
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I too felt really stupid and 'slow' when I quit drinking, but within a few months I was feeling better. Now after a year and a half my brain is working as it should and I'm back to my old self, only better.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The mental recovery you say took place six months ago, before your latest binge, seems to me a hopeful sign. Although I'm not a doctor and we cannot give medical advice, from what you and others on this thread say, I suspect that any physical changes in your brain you may have suffered are reversible with long term sobriety. Prolonged use of alcohol and other drugs leads to neurological and other changes but often these changes are reversible. Hopefully your doctor can tell you more. When I entered a rehab 23 years ago I had the same concerns as yours and after long term sobriety I have found that my mental state seems consistent with my age and, as far as I'm concerned, is satisfactory for my needs. I think that the brain has many of the same recovery powers as has the liver but I would not push your luck if I were you. Good luck.

W.